- semicolon | colon | apostrophe | parentheses | dash | italics | quotation marks 3. Place semicolons and colons OUTSIDE the quotation marks. 4. Place question marks and. — “More Punctuation”, towson.edu
- It is almost always a greater pleasure to come across a semicolon than a period. The semicolon allows the writer to imply a relationship between. — “The Semicolon”, mnet.edu
- The semicolon (;) is a punctuation mark with several uses. The Italian printer Aldus the practice of using the semicolon mark to separate words of opposed. — “Semicolon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia”,
- The semicolon (;) has only one major use. It is used to join two complete sentences into A semicolon can always, in principle, be replaced either by a full stop (yielding two. — “The Semicolon”, informatics.sus***
- Common-sense, easy to understand rules for using the semicolon, including information on when NOT to use it. — “How to use the semicolon properly”,
- A semicolon is most commonly used to link (in a single sentence) two independent clauses When a semicolon is used to join two or more ideas (parts) in a sentence, those ideas are. — “uw-madison writing center writer's handbook”, writing.wisc.edu
- If you are going to use a semicolon to connect two clauses, it is very important that the two clauses are both independent. The two clauses connected by a semi-colon have to be related. — “The semicolon”,
- However, good writing in English will usually make use of the colon and the semi-colon. When we use a semi-colon, it is often because we want to make the reader think about the. — “410 Grammar: Using Colons and Semi-Colons”, web2.uvcs.uvic.ca
- Use a semicolon in place of a period to separate two sentences where the conjunction has been left out. — “Semicolons | Punctuation Rules”,
- The semicolon is most often used to connect two sentences. A semicolon is an economical way to join two sentences, and therefore two ideas, so that. — “Punctuation Made Simple: Guide to The Semicolon”, lilt.ilstu.edu
- Semicolon definition, the punctuation mark (;) used to indicate a major division in a sentence where a more distinct separation is felt between clauses or items o See more. — “Semicolon | Define Semicolon at ”,
- Use a semicolon to combine two very closely related complete sentences. Use a semicolon along with a conjunctive adverb and a comma to clarify the relationship. — “LEO: Semicolon Rules”, leo.stcloudstate.edu
- Contents. 1 English. 1.1 Alternative forms. 1.2 Noun. 1.2.1 See also. 1.2.2 Translations. 1.3 See also  English  Alternative forms. semi-colon  Noun. semicolon (plural semicolons) mark ';' . A semicolon is followed by an initial lower-case letter (unless for proper. — “semicolon - Wiktionary”,
- A mark of punctuation ( ; ) used to connect independent clauses and suggest a closer relationship between the clauses than a period does. — “semicolon - definition and examples of semicolons”,
- SEMICOLON. The punctuation mark used to indicate a major division in a sentence where a Use the semicolon to link independent clauses not joined by a. — “The Semicolon”,
- You will usually use the semicolon to link independent clauses not joined by a co Semicolons should join only those independent clauses that are. — “The Semicolon”, uottawa.ca
- semicolon free PDF ebook downloads. eBooks and manuals for Business, Education,Finance, Inspirational, Novel, Religion, Social, Sports, Science, Technology, Holiday , Medical. — “semicolon eBook Downloads”,
- How to use a semicolon. The most feared punctuation on earth. Or Thanks to Jane C. All artwork and content on this site is Copyright © 2010 Matthew Inman. Please don't. — “How to use a semicolon - The Oatmeal”,
- Definition of semicolon from Webster's New World College Dictionary. semicolon definition. semi·colon (sem′i kō′lən) noun. a mark of punctuation (;) indicating a degree of separation greater than that. — “semicolon - Definition of semicolon at ”,
- If you're not familiar with and linking to and perusing the Saturday Review of Books here at Semicolon, you're missing out. Then on Saturday, you post a link here at Semicolon in Mr. Linky to the specific post where you've written your book review. — “Semicolon”,
- semicolon n. A mark of punctuation ( ; ) used to connect independent clauses and indicating a closer relationship between the clauses than a period. — “semicolon: Definition from ”,
- The semicolon was invented like signs typographical by the Italian printer Aldus Manutius The semicolon has several uses in the French Grammaire. In particular:. — “Semicolon - SpeedyLook Encyclopedia”,
- Provides games, email signature utility, and a Palm-Mac file converter. — “Semicolon Software”,
related videos for semicolon
- MR. SEMICOLON, PART 1 What are semicolons? When are they used? What are some examples? All are discussed in my song, "Mr. Semicolon".
- Semicolon Nolan Part 1/5 in this week's set of videos, tentatively titled "The Punctuation Situation," detailing some of the pros and cons of the usage of the oft-neglected and abused semicolon. For the record, yes, there is a colon joke in this video. Duh. The Oatmeal Article - Note #1: Apologies for the late upload, there were some complications in filming and editing which made things go a bit slower than expected. My final render ended up not being so final, and it took a good hour to fix and re-render/upload it. Which kind of makes the opening statement in this video even more appropriate! Note #2: More apologies for the poor acting in the split-screen section (ie constantly looking off to the left because i was referencing my outline). The upstairs neighbors were doing construction all day, so I didn't get to do many takes between the noise. Music: Honey Bee and Modern Jazz Samba by Kevin MacLeod (2010, 2004 Incompetech) --- Twitter Daily Blog: Personal Channel
- Semicolon Parenthesis The Movie - Hiberna A movie of the life of the guild Semicolon Parenthesis
- Grammar & Punctuation : When Not to Use a Semicolon Semicolons should not be used in most situations unless two independent clauses are being connected, or if there is a list of items where one of the items has a list of its own. Avoid overusing semicolons in writing with advice from awriter and English tutor in this free video on grammar and punctuation. Expert: Heather Kamins Bio: Heather Kamins was diagnosed with lupus when she was 14 years old, and has dealt with kidney involvement, joint problems, medication side effects and other lupus-related issues. Filmmaker: Dimitri LaBarge
- Using a Semicolon When to use a semicolon. cfaalearning.etsu.edu (423) 439-7111
- Semi Colon-Nekwaha some more great music coming out of Africa that I was requested to put up....so here it is
- The Comma, Semicolon, and Parentheses Movie (Part 1) Project for the P Kenny (more) Added: February 11, 2008 Project for the P Kenny
- English Grammar & Punctuation : How to Use a Semicolon A semicolon is used to give the reader a better idea of what they are talking about. Use semicolons to give reason for pause or to write lists with help from a certified tutor in this free video on punctuation in the English language. Expert: Paige Carrera Bio: Paige Carrera is a certified tutor for both Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Filmmaker: Christopher Rokosz
- Colons and semicolons Some very subtle uses of punctuation - impress the examiner with your confidence.
- Yu-Gi-Oh Trade/Sale - whoa...DARK LORDS?! semi-colon "O" face Thumbs up are welcome ^__^ Please consider the value before messaging and don't make nonsense offers =) I Will NOT respond in the comment section, so please msg me in the inbox or on facebook ^__^
- English Grammar & Punctuation : Capitalization of Book Titles Including a Semicolon Book titles should use a semicolon in the same circumstance as colons. Use semicolons in book titles, such as: Lord of the Rings; Fellowship of the Ring, with help from a certified tutor in this free video on punctuation in the English language. Expert: Paige Carrera Bio: Paige Carrera is a certified tutor for both Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Filmmaker: Christopher Rokosz
- semicolon usage: punctuation Captured by chrislegebow
- English Grammar & Punctuation : What Is a Semicolon? A semicolon is used when a writer wants their reader to take an extended pause. Bring two independent clauses together by using a semicolon with help from a certified tutor in this free video on punctuation in the English language. Expert: Paige Carrera Bio: Paige Carrera is a certified tutor for both Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Filmmaker: Christopher Rokosz
- Semicolon According to the Chicago Manual of Style Created for Ashley Henley's Writing for Digital Media class as part of the Master of Professional Writing program at Chatham University. Project was to take something that is typically presented using traditional media (a book, in this case) and reconstruct it as a Web video. I chose to take the section on semicolons from the Chicago Manual of Style and create a video illustrating their use.
- Grammar Machinima - Semicolons and Colons A little late for public release but... A "machinima" created to teach everyone about the uses of semicolons and colons. Created for Mr. Mayden's English Class 2008-2009.
- Semicolon Developers Kathmandu, Nepal "Semicolon Developers" is a web and software development company registered on 2008 as "Semicolon Developers Network Pvt. Ltd." in Nepal. Our primary vision for establishment is providing quality service implementing latest development trends in web, software and mobile application development sector in the country. Our interest is more on collaborative development and we are highly focused on building network of developers around us, hence, promoting and investing on community project is one of our primary concern. We picked the name "semicolon" from the statement separator symbol ";" used in most of the popular programming languages like C/C++, PHP, .Net, JAVA etc. We call them semicolon family of programming languages, and hence our team -- Semicolon Developers. To know more about our services please visit
- Colon & Semicolon--Rebekah WCC Writing Center tutor Rebekah Lindstrom discusses differences between the colon and the semicolon.
- Semi-colon song Year Six stomp out the semi-colon song! A great example of musical learning!
- English Grammar & Punctuation : How to Use a Semicolon in Bible Scripture In Bible scripture, semicolons were used to join phrases and place emphasis on what the scripture was trying to say. Discover how semicolons insinuate a deeper meaning with help from a certified tutor in this free video on punctuation in the English language. Expert: Paige Carrera Bio: Paige Carrera is a certified tutor for both Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Filmmaker: Christopher Rokosz
- English Grammar & Punctuation : Do You Use a Semicolon Before or After Conjunctive Adverbs? A semicolon is used before conjunctive adverbs to join two independent clauses together. Discover why semicolons are used with conjunctive adverbs with help from a certified tutor in this free video on punctuation in the English language. Expert: Paige Carrera Bio: Paige Carrera is a certified tutor for both Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Filmmaker: Christopher Rokosz
- MR. SEMICOLON, PART 2 What are semicolons? When are they used? What are some examples? All are discussed in my song, "Mr. Semicolon". This is Part Two, so be sure to watch "Mr. Semicolon Song, Part 1" before you watch this one.
- The Semicolon How to Write More Better-er with James Kotecki Saving written English with the medium that's killing it. Episode 4: The Semicolon Question for the show? Email writemorebetterer@
- Commas Inc & True Life: living with semicolon funny video we did for english class sophomore year
- Semicolon Entertaining puncuation lesson on the use of the semicolon.
- semicolon; layers and layers of the worst 2 days of editing in my life. inspired by corporalcadet's "vedo 18"
- The Comma, Semicolon, and Parentheses Movie (Part 2) Project for the P Kenny
- Riese & Haviland (But Really Alex/Semicolon) Vlog #21 Haviland is still out of town, but never fear, Alex/Semicolon is guest-vlogging FOR REAL! Topics include: the allegation that we look alike, objects that remind people of other funner things, alex's affair with her dentist, and rupaul. Look for guest appearances by Lozo and Haviland. This video also includes A TRIBUTE TO KATLITTER (At about the 2:40 mark) Tribute inspired by this video:
- Grammar & Punctuation : When to Use a Semicolon Use a semicolon to connect two separate sentences that are related to each other, or if a series of items is being listed and includes internal punctuation within sections of the list. Avoid overuse of semicolons with advice from awriter and English tutor in this free video on grammar and punctuation. Expert: Heather Kamins Bio: Heather Kamins was diagnosed with lupus when she was 14 years old, and has dealt with kidney involvement, joint problems, medication side effects and other lupus-related issues. Filmmaker: Dimitri LaBarge
- Writing With Semicolons (1) Explanation of how to use a semicolon to seperate two clauses in a sentence. This is a really simple and effective way to improve your writing and your grades in English. When you've watched the video, download the task sheet using this link to help you to practice: dc254.4
- grammar rock colons and semicolons highschoolers make grammar rock video. It is extremely awesome. :)
- The "SS Semi-Colon Explorer" Launch Alex Brown fires the awesome might of the "SS Semi-Colon Explorer"; a rocket that looked less like a sky adventurer and more likely an explorer of your own passages. Certainly cleared mine when it eventually fired after two mis-fires!
- The Semi-Colon Song An amazing song
- Semicolons are ***y! A song by Paige Harwood and Rohan Salmond. Paige's YouTube: Semicolons are going out of use so there's something that we have to do! This is the first song I've ever done on YouTube and you'll notice my voice isn't the best but I hope you'll be kind. Declare your own love for the semicolon in a video response! Dedicated to my friend Hannah from work.
- Kurt Vonnegut Speaks with OSU Students Kurt Vonnegut speaks with Ohio State students in his last official speaking engagement.
- 44 - Colons & Semicolons with Sentences Jane Straus, foremost expert, answers your burning English grammar and punctuation questions. To see the entire contents of The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation online and to take online quizzes, go to
- How to Use a Semicolon Use a semicolon to join independent clauses by following the information in these steps.
- Semi Colon - Slim Fit Maggie
- lol fiction: semi-colon right bracket I don't know what it is. Well, me, Ru Jih and Daniel sitting on the grass at uni pondering the meaning of life. It's funny. Somewhat.
- English - Using the Semicolon
- Semi-Colon People Wednesday Lunch and Feature Presentation* Revenge of the Semi-Colon People: Business ***ytics at Work Greg Nelson & Neil Howard In this informative and fun-filled action-adventure, Greg Nelson and Neil Howard will take us on a journey to tell the story of the semi-colon people -- SAS Users -- by looking at SAS Global Forum data throughout the years, including attendance patterns, survey opinions, observations from volunteers and nearly 10000 papers and presentations representing topics ranging from BASE SAS to Sudoku. The story will be told using SAS, from programs written by SAS users across the globe, a vibrant, evolving community that stretches geographically as well as vertically through nearly every industry. From descriptive statistics to text mining to social ***ytics, we've explored the reaches of the SAS Global Forum and its user community to make it better using the software that brought us together in the first place.
Blogs & Forum
blogs and forums about semicolon
“Contact Us Site Search Essay Blog. Video Tips Articles Essay Editing far too many potential reviewers consider a semi-colon and a comma to be interchangeable)”
— Semi Colon | AdmissionHook College Essay Blog,
“The semicolon: what it is, what it does, and how to use it. blog. The Fiction Desk. The semicolon. Wednesday, 9th April 2008, by Rob. There is 1 Comment. There's really no need for me to make a lengthy post about the semicolon; The Guardian has done it”
— The semicolon,
“Textbroker Blog. The Semicolon: Not a Fancy Comma. By Keira, Textbroker like the period, but the semicolon is more than just the eyes of your”
— The Semicolon: Not a Fancy Comma,
“Writer's Relief blog and Newsletter information. Read blog articles about submitting poetry, short stories, childrens books, and novels to literary agents and magazines. Get tips on proper grammar usage, proofreading, cover and query letter”
— Writer's Relief Blog | Three Essential Semicolon Rules,
“Dasblog tool. Welcome to my Blog. The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions. Before getting to its uses, it's best to understand what the semicolon really is”
— Writer's Digest Questions and Quandaries - When to Use a,
“Blog. Contact. Thursday, October 7, 2010. How To Use A Semicolon. It's not so tough! The humor. Posted by Julie Hill. Browse Blog Categories. News. Thinking. Design. Technology. Case”
— HyperQuake: Blog,
“Discover world travel, global cultures, explore new worlds, and discover the globalization commentary at World Hum. Travel dispatches from a shrinking planet. Proper Use of Semicolon in New York Subways Hailed by Riders, Writers. Travel Blog • Michael Yessis • 02.20.08 | 11:55 AM ET. One”
— Proper Use of Semicolon in New York Subways Hailed by Riders,
“Forum: Ruby on Rails REST Semicolon. Forum List | Topic List | New Topic | Search "So what's the deal with the semi-colon in the edit URL in REST”
— REST Semicolon - Ruby Forum, ruby-
“When do you use a semicolon? , Violet Nikolici Lowrey, MBA, CPRW, CEMC Jobing blog from Violet Nikolici Lowrey, MBA, CPRW, CEMC at A Plus Professional Resumes, posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:11 AM”
— When do you use a semicolon? , Violet Nikolici Lowrey, MBA,