- The powhiri ritual welcome ceremony of the Maori has connections with Latter-day Saint practices. The hongi is an embrace in exchange of the breath o. — “Pōwhiri and Hongi of New Zealand's Māori: a Sacred Ritual”,
- December 2005 .com/photos/te_kupenga/80144417/" title="Powhiri by te_kupenga, on Flickr"> [url=http:///photos/te_kupenga/80144417. — “Powhiri | Flickr - Photo Sharing!”,
- Therefore the below arrangements apply, and the event will be initiated with a powhiri, or welcoming ceremony. Cooking / Eating / Sleeping Arrangements The powhiri ceremony is a formal welcoming ceremony for visitors. — “Venue – Owae Marae”,
- The overuse of powhiri trivialised what Mr Jones described as a key Maori institution. I pity the poor international tourist that will have to put up with powhiri after haka after powhiri after haka after powhiri after haka after powhiri after haka everywhere they go. — “'Dial-a-powhiri' - politics - national | Stuff.co.nz”, stuff.co.nz
- The kaumatua accused of berating three female National MPs sitting in the front row of a powhiri last week says his actions were driven by a breach of common courtesy, not Maori protocol. — “MPs' contempt fuelled rebuke, says kaumatua - National - NZ”, nzherald.co.nz
- Powhiri Welcome Or Not. Saturday November 13 at 8.30 PM on Maori Television. Traditional Maori welcoming ceremonies - powhiri - are rituals of encounter intended to bring people together safely and with dignity. We continue the custom in contemporary New Zealand, on and off marae. — “Powhiri Welcome Or Not | Documentary | TV Highlights | Throng”, throng.co.nz
- Powhiri 2010 12. Powhiri 2010 11. Powhiri 2010 10. Powhiri 2010 09 2010 08. Powhiri 2010 07. Powhiri 2010 06. Powhiri 2010 05. Powhiri 2010 04. Powhiri 2010 03. — “Powhiri 2010 | Rutherford College”, rutherford.school.nz
- A powhiri sounded the beginning of the Turangi ceremony handing over the largest Treaty Of Waitangi settlement yet The handover to eight iwi is taking place at the Hirangi Marae, and began with a traditional powhiri. — “Powhiri begins handover - Newstalk ZB”, newstalkzb.co.nz
- At ULearn09, I have just experienced my second Powhiri and this is a quick clip caught on my iPhone of the occasion. For more on ULearn09 and this Powhiri, p. — “YouTube - ULearn09 ~ Powhiri”,
- A powhiri is a traditional Maori welcoming ceremony. It was used by Maori over 300 years ago to work out if visitors arriving at their Pa (village) were friends or foe (enemies) Visit a Marae with your family or your school and experience a Powhiri. — “Suzy's World: Powhiri”, suzy.co.nz
- A Powhiri is a Maori welcoming ceremony involving speeches, dancing, singing and hongi. A powhiri is not performed for every group of manuhiri (visitors). — “APAN”,
- Translations of powhiri. powhiri synonyms, powhiri antonyms. Information about powhiri in the free online English dictionary and encyclopedia. Following the powhiri, an impressive line-up of local guest speakers gave presentations on the hut theme of "vision to reality". — “powhiri - definition of powhiri by the Free Online Dictionary”,
- ANGLICAN TAONGA is published by the Anglican Commission on Communications and distributed to all parishes and agencies of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia. The powhiri begins. — “Tikanga Maori / News / Anglican Taonga - Anglican Taonga”, .nz
- Powhiri. The powhiri is the ritual ceremony of encounter. Traditionally the process served to discover whether the visiting party were friend or foe, and so its origins lay partly in military necessity. The tangata whenua will perform the haka powhiri, a chant and dance of welcome, during. — “Powhiri”,
- Powhiri. The Powhiri is the ritual of first meeting. Moving through the Powhiri traditionally brought the visitors (manuhiri) and the tanga ta whenua (people of the land) together safely so they could talk, negotiate, eat and ultimately mingle together. Some parts of the Powhiri:. — “Kotane: The authentic New Zealand Maori cultural experience”, kotane.co.nz
- A description of the ten essential parts to a formal powhiri where the tangata whenua welcome the manuhiri or visitors. — “Tangata Whenua Powhiri Te Manuhiri”, education-resources.co.nz
- However, powhiri are also often performed for tourist groups as part of special events. Powhiri New Zealand's Welcoming Spirit (from the official website of Tourism New Zealand. — “Pōwhiri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia”,
- The challenge Wero continues as the Taki (challenge dart) is laid down for the honoured guest. Hillary Clinton's First Powhiri (Part 2) - Te Wero. — “Hillary Clinton's First Powhiri (Part 2) - Te Wero | Scoop News”, scoop.co.nz
- Maori are the indigenous people of Aotearoa New Zealand. Contemporary Maori culture has been shaped by the traditions of its rich cultural heritage. — “Maori - Culture, Language, Art and Tattoo”,
- Maori MP Hone Harawira welcomed with powhiri at Parliament. 5 images. Maori Party MP Hone Harawira, centre, leads a group of Northern Maori onto the grounds of Parliament where he was welcomed by fellow members of his party with a powhiri, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, November 07, 2005. — “NZPA Images - Maori MP Hone Harawira welcomed with powhiri at”, nzpaimages.co.nz
- The New Zealand Army contingent of Operation GYRO 8, under Operation KORU display a Powhiri ceremony to welcome the Governor-General of New Zealand, Hon Sir Anand Satyanand, and his wife Lady Susan Satyanand 8, under Operation KORU, display a Powhiri ceremony to welcome the Governor-General of. — “Australian Operation in East Timor - Department of Defence”, defence.gov.au
related videos for powhiri
- powhiri te roopu o patiki 08, showin th indians how we do it! sorry for th poor quality and th person sittn in th way, lol.
- Facelift: Don has a powhiri 2005: Don Brash holds a powhiri for some people coming into New Zealand, with Gerry Brownly (then National Party spokesman for Maori issues). Background: Lots of stuff going on here. Wikipedia may explain some of it: Some more Facelift videos, new and old, in my channel. Facelift, 10PM Monday TVOne
- Te Matatini o Te Ra 2011 - Powhiri
- waiata powhiri
- Queenstown Powhiri - Part 2 of 7 Tena koutou katoa. The video of the first part of this event has attracted a lot of views over the past 2 years....and sparked some strong feelings, particularly from Maori who object to the audience laughing at sights which - to them - were unusual, a little threatening and (to some) comical. I'll be uploading more videos based on this event. I hope they provide some additional context. The "Pokarekare Ana" vid is also from this even, but stands outside this series. Ka kite ano.
- Teikyo at Powhiri Teikyo University Rugby Football Club with Total Rugby New Zealand
- Queenstown Powhiri - Part 3 of 7 Queenstown Powhiri - continued. :-)
- Papamoa High School Powhiri Welcoming On - Powhiri - Opening Papamoa High School 2011 Video footage courtesy of Steve Fawcett www.mediastream.co.nz Audio compiled by Steve Fawcett
- Pōwhiri - Kīngi Tūheitia - Poukai 2008 Kīngi Tūheitia (The seventh Māori monarch) attending his second Poukai (tribal gathering) at Te Tokanga-nui-a-noho Marae in Te Kūiti. The Band is Te Ope Kuratea a Taniwharau (Taniwharau Brass Band) & the tune is Nau Mai, an old tune from Scotland.
- Welcome powhiri for AgResearch CEO Dr Tom Richardson A welcome ceremony (powhiri) held for new AgResearch Chief Executive, Dr Tom Richardson, at Ruakura Research Centre on 15 September 2010.
- nanni tari`s powhiri our 7 kruu powhiri 4 nani tariana turia at th maori party elections at wangaehu marae 8/11/2008
- new zealand army Gyro 7 handover powhiri to Gyro 8 (1st haka) New Zealand Army handover powhiri from gyro 7 to gyro 8 in east timor Soldiers from RNZIR,RNZALR,RNZA
- Whaharoa-Haka Powhiri-wero.mp4
- Haka - Tamaka Maori Village Powhiri Haka-Dance of the Maori Tribe
- Powhiri for chief Joe Maori Village 2008 PCC
- Powhiri at the Auckland Museum Part 1 One of the first things our class experienced in Auckland, New Zealand was a Maori powhiri, or welcoming ceremony, at the Auckland Museum.
- Pōwhiri - ISA World Junior Surfing Championship 2010 Auckland, New Zealand The ISA World Junior Surfing Championship is being held in Piha, Auckland, New Zealand from 20th to 28th January 2010. The pōwhiri was held in Mission Bay on Wednesday 20th January 2010. studio tdes http
- IBSC Powhiri, Lindisfarne College, Hastings, New Zealand 2009 James leading the Haka at the Powhiri for the International Boys School Coalition. First time held in New Zealand & Lindisfarne College, Hastings was fortunate enough to host it
- Powhiri 09 Christchurch Boys High School Rugby Festival 09 Shorts from the Powhiri
- Richard Armitage opens the Powhiri Welcoming Ceremony This is a clip of just the Powhiri Welcoming Ceremony with Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman, Andy Serkis and Peter Jackson. This video is available for download at RichardArmitageNet: This video is now closed-captioned and a transcript is posted on my blog: wp.me
- ULearn09 ~ Powhiri At ULearn09, I have just experienced my second Powhiri and this is a quick clip caught on my iPhone of the occasion. For more on ULearn09 and this Powhiri, please visit www.sarahjones.biz
- Powhiri at the Auckland Museum Part 2 The continuation of the welcoming ceremony, in Maori: powhiri, at the Auckland Museum.
- Haka Powhiri at Waimea College In celebration of Maori Language Week, schools from around the Richmond region took part in a 1700 strong Haka Powhiri
- 2010 powhiri.avi Year 8's welcome new staff and students
- Maori Powhiri The halls of the United Nations echoed with singing and chanting today during the colorful and lively traditional Maori ceremony to welcome UNDP Administrator Helen Clark. The event, called a powhiri (pronounced poor-fee-ree), began with the thunderous sounding of a conch shell and a Maori warriors dance, and ended with Helen Clark, the former Prime Minister of New Zealand, and her Maori delegation pressing noses with senior UN officials in a hongi. Today I am truly humbled to be formally presented here to the UN and to UNDP by senior Maori leaders who have travelled to New York for this occasion, said Helen Clark. The powhiri is a traditional Maori ceremony which takes place when manuhiri, or visitors, and tangata whenua, or people of the land, meet and is a dynamic part of public life in New Zealand today. In this ceremony, Helen Clark and her delegation of Maori leaders represented the visitors and UNDP staff represented the people of the land. The ceremony entrusted Helen Clark to UNDP and marked her transition from being a representative of New Zealand to a representative of UNDP. Te Arikinui Kingi Tuheitia, the Maori King and Paramount Chief, led the Maori delegation, dressed in traditional garb, in presenting Clark to her new UN family. UN Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiro and UNDP Associate Administrator Ad Melkert represented the UN at the event, each giving remarks partially in their native language of Kiswahili and Dutch respectively, as is customary ...
- NorthTec Powhiri - Welcome new students NorthTec welcomed new students with a powhiri in the marae this July in Whangarei, New Zealand. Students starting semester 2 participated in the powhiri and a range of activites on orientation day.
- On The Road With Jacque & Roxanne - Powhiri Maori Welcome At Airport TVP Tour In NZ Jacque & Roxanne are welcomed into New Zealand (Aotearoa) by members of the Zeitgeist Movement NZ Chapter with a Customary Maori Welcome (Powhiri).
- R&V 2011 - Powhiri Haka - Mean Maori mean
- Auckland Museum LATE 01: Ragamuffin Powhiri Thursday, 5 February 2009 | The very first LATE featured The Ragamuffin Powhiri. In an event reminiscent of the historic powhiri for Bob Marley in 1979, Ziggi Marley and 75 members of the Raggamuffin Festival were welcomed onto Auckland Museums Maori court by representatives of Ngati Whatua. The Powhiri was followed by the Waitangi Eve Smart Talk with Finlay Mcdonald. See full coverage, music videos and photos at
- Maori Powhiri Maori Powhiri (welcome dance) at the Tamaki Maori Village
- Welcome Powhiri for Year 9 Students 2008 The kapa haka group perform a powhiri as part of the welcome for new year 9 students at Rutherford College 2008.
- Te Atawhai Taiaroa - Powhiri - Hato Paora Welcome to Govenor General - Sir Anand Satyanan for Uncle's Investiture. 21 October 2009.
- Powhiri - Welcome to Youth Parliament Grand Hall, Parliament, 08 July 2007
- Maori Powhiri (Welcome) Queenstown NZ On the shores of Lake Wakatipu near Queenstown, New Zealand, we were welcomed by the local Maori with a "powhiri". It's a challenge. You're offered a feather or piece of fern and if you don't pick it up, it means you are there for a fight. So you pick it up. :-) The attendees were employees attending a regional, Asia/Pacific company conference. They were unaware this group was about to turn up in jet boats. Most people there were from around Asia or places other than New Zealand. They weren't aware of the correct protocol. The free Lindaur bubbly laid on had people fairly relaxed. 2008-11-09: I've uploaded more video from this vent. Each is a video response to the one before it. (Note: This video sat in a box on a video cassette for several years prior to the "invention" of YouTube. All bow down before YouTube. :-) )
- Maori Pōwhiri Before entering the Maori village, we must be welcomed with an aggressive challenge.
- Hillary Clinton welcomed with Powhiri - no comment S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton received a traditional welcome ceremony by Maori performers outside parliament house in Wellington. The ceremony is called Powhiri, a traditional ritual conducted by New Zealand's indigenous people Maoris to welcome special guests.... No Comment | euronews: watch the international news without commentary |
- Manunui School Powhiri ( Take 1 ) for King Country Kura Okie Idol Powhiri. Welcome for Frank Bunce and Ginnaye Morgan.
- Raw video: Hillary Clinton greeted with powhiri US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was greeted with a powhiri outside Parliament during her visit to NZ.
- K3 Company, Bosnia '95 Powhiri Powhiri, Maori Welcome in Bosnia Nov '95 Santici (Vitez). K3 Company. No tourist attraction , but in wartime Bosnia 1995. Welcome ceremony for a British General if i remember it correct.
- powhiri tana rd, parirau, te taitokerau
- Powhiri for Stan Walker in ROTORUA.MOV MEAN
- Ma-Wai-Hakona Association - Powhiri / Haer Emai The first track off of the album "Maori Song & Rhythm" released in America by the Musical Heritage Society. Song is sung in Maori, English translation provided. Listen closely to the lyrics sung. I tried to sync them up as best I could, with my limited iMovie skills.
Blogs & Forum
blogs and forums about powhiri
“Waka Toa performs internationally and in Gisborne offering authentic Maori Culture Experiences, Tours and Performances enjoyed by all ages”
“Subscribe to the ULearn news blog and keep up to date with conference news and events Tuesday was the first day of Ulearn 09 with many eager delegates coming a day early to take part in the powhiri, preconference workshops and the first Ulearn unconference”
— ULearn News · powhiri, blog.core-
“Forum Home. Active Topics. Forum Search. Forum FAQ. Main Directory. New Links. Popular Links the US who is currently working on a research paper on the Powhiri”
— Seeking Info on the Powhiri... - .nz Papa Panui, .nz
“Semester Two, Powhiri. Monday 19th July at 10am. All Waiariki Institute of Technology campuses will be welcoming new students into Forestry School Blog. Student Profiles. School Research. Campus Tour. Enrolment Information”
— Semester Two, Powhiri, forestryschool.ac.nz
“Bebo provides an open, engaging, and fun environment that empowers a new generation to discover, connect and express themselves”
“New Zealand | Becks and the powhiri. November 20th, 2007 by John Becks and teammates did not know what to make of the customary Maori welcome, the powhiri”
— The Global Game " Blog Archive " New Zealand | Becks and the,
“Forum. Community. Guide. What's on TV. Ratings. What's popular. Shows. See all. Twitter. follow us. Log in. or register. Connect. Maori Television's blog. Bio. No bio yet. View upcoming. Powhiri Welcome Or Not. November 13th, Traditional Maori welcoming ceremonies - powhiri - are rituals of encounter intended to”
— Maori Television's blog | Throng, throng.co.nz
“This General Synod began with a powhiri in front of the Christchurch Cathedral, were The powhiri include vibrant performances by a local kapa haka group, St Michael's Church”
— Youth Yeah Events : TORU Online, .nz
“On Friday afternoon a powhiri welcomed the Forum-goers. onto the Porirua. campus of. href Social Forum (WSF) the SFA was an open convergence process. consisting of keynote lectures, panel discussions, workshops and”
— ALTERNATIVE CONVERGENCE: Social Forum Aotearoa | Aotearoa, .nz
related keywords for powhiri
- powhiri ceremony
- powhiri welcoming ceremony
- powhiri hobbit
- powhiri welcome ceremony
- powhiri the hobbit
- powhiri pronunciation
- powhiri karanga
- powhiri protocol
- powhiri welcome or not
- powhiri te matatini
- powhiri ceremony pictures
similar for powhiri
- free encyclopedia
- tangata whenua
- the visitors
- welcome guests
- eastern dialects
- western north island
- online dictionary
- thesaurus browser
- free online dictionary
- ki ka
- english dictionary
- free online english dictionary
- maori culture
- indigenous people
- aotearoa new zealand
- cultural heritage
- traditional maori
- standing guard
- lay down
- the maori of new zealand
- two sides
- ritual ceremony
- become one
- photo sharing
- photo license
- share your photos
- public photos
- share photos
- sharing photos
- private photos
- film strip
- free account
- take full advantage
- the haka
- maori welcome
- vector arena