- Earmarks: Everything You Need to Know. This important course gives students a solid overview of the federal budget process, highlighting ways beneficiaries of earmarks, i.e., directed congressional appropriations, influence the legislative process. — “Hobnob Blog: Earmarks Archives”,
- In an interview with conservative radio host Ed Morrissey yesterday, Inhofe said people like DeMint who oppose earmarks are "brainwashed," adding that if his fellow senators vote to ban earmarks they are voting to "trash the constitution and reject their oath of office". — “ThinkProgress”,
- Earmarks allow the U.S. Congress to direct money to be spent on specific projects, either through legislation, known as "hard earmarks," or through committee reports, called called "soft earmarks." On March 11, President Barack Obama signed the. — “Earmarks”,
- The report also focuses on how earmarks for some products were added to the defense appropriations bill even in cases in which the military didn't want them in the first place. Example: a The OMB Web site offers a basic primer on earmarks as well as a limited database, listing earmarks by department. — “Bill Moyers Journal . EXPOSÉ ON THE JOURNAL | PBS”,
- Much has been written about the House GOP Leadership's plan to ban earmarks for two years. While House GOP Leadership have tipped their hats to the tea party movement with the earmark ban, other actions they are taking this week behind the scenes will neuter the movement and consign the incoming. — “" Earmarks - Big Government”,
- New Hampshire's senators and representatives in Washington are far from leaders in congressional "earmark" spending, but they still returned about $185 million in taxpayer money to the Granite State, a review by the New Hampshire Union. — “Earmarks defended: Not evil, just part of budget - Monday”,
- President Barack Obama has said he, too, wants to restrict earmarks, though he defended some as helping communities. "I am proud that House and Senate Republicans have united to end the earmark favor factory," said Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., a leader in the drive to stop the practice. — “Earmarks | Toledo Newspaper”,
- Big News on Earmarks. Includes blogs, news, and community conversations about Earmarks Over the past Congress, both parties have tried to outdo each other in cutting back on earmarks, but at this point, neither party has proposed a workable long-term solution to the problem. — “Earmarks : Pictures, Videos, Breaking News”,
- Database of earmarks provided by the Congress for projects or programs, in appropriation and authorization bills, which circumvent the merit-based or competitive allocation process. From the U.S. Office of Management and Budget. — “Earmarks”, earmarks.omb.gov
- Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn has taken a stand with Taxpayers Against Earmarks to not accept or promote earmarks. Taxpayers Against Earmarks had the privilege of talking to several Members of Congress. — “Taxpayers Against Earmarks | ”,
- "Earmarking" is the term used to refer to a provision in legislation that directs funds to be spent on specific projects. Typically, legislators seek to insert earmarks which direct a specified amount of money to a particular organization or project in his/her home state or district. — “Earmarks - SourceWatch”,
- But a new book challenges the conventional wisdom on earmarks, suggesting that the federal funds designated by politicians for specific use (and often funneled to a politician's hometown to increase re-election odds) might actually be good for American democracy. — “OpenSecrets Blog: Earmarks Archives | OpenSecrets”,
- UPDATE: Here is the latest list of "wanted" earmarks in our earmark hunting contest. Then click on a link to see the earmarks your representative has requested. Do you think it's a good use of money in your area?. — “Catalogue of FY 2010 Earmarks – The Blog”,
- Obama wants less earmarks ; GOP vows to reform Congress - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency. — “Obama wants less earmarks ; GOP vows to reform Congress - The”,
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is maneuvering behind the scenes to defeat a conservative plan aimed at restricting earmarks, setting up a high-stakes showdown that pits the GOP leader and his "Old Bull" allies against Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and a new breed of conservative senators. — “earmarks "”,
- Earmarks are sometimes referred to as federal spending with a zip code For many observers, a salient feature of earmarks involves funding directives in. — “Harvard Law School”, law.harvard.edu
- Posts tagged earmarks at Politics News, Elections Coverage, Political ***ysis and Opinion. — “Earmarks Tag - Politics Daily - Politics News, Elections”,
- Listen to people on banning earmarks. Published 11/18/10 @ 12:10 AM ET By REP.-ELECT SEAN Ending earmarks: It's not complicated. Published 11/16/10 @ 4:58 PM ET By JOE RICKETTS & BRIAN BAKER. Opinion: Banning earmarks is an opportunity for Congress to prove that they heard the. — “Earmarks - POLITICO Topics - ”,
- Last week Sen. Mitch McConnell played down the chances of an earmark moratorium in the Senate next year by saying, " I'm sure the president would love to have a legislative blank check. — “How earmarks weaken Congress”,
- In United States politics, an earmark is a legislative (especially congressional) provision that directs approved funds to be spent on specific projects, or that directs specific exemptions from taxes or mandated fees. The term "earmark" is used in this sense only in the United States. — “Earmark (politics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia”,
- earmarks in regular annual appropriations acts. With the consent of the requester, our continuing interest within Congress concerning earmarking trends in recent years. — “Earmarks in Appropriation Acts: FY 1994 - FY 2005”,
related videos for earmarks
- Glenn Beck - Stand Up Against Pork and Earmarks - Feb. 26, 2009 Glenn Beck calls out several politicians and the pork and earmarks they are responsible for in the 2009 stimulus package and omnibus spending bill. There are over 9000 earmarks in the omnibus spending bill which add up to $7.8B. Democrats and Republicans that Glenn takes to task include: Barack Obama Joe Biden Charles Schumer (D, NY) Rosa Delauro (D, CT) - $1.2M for mosquito trapping in Gainesville, FL Dan Inouye (D, HI) - $238K for Hawaiian Canoe trips Harry Reid (D, NV) - $143K for Las Vegas Natural History Museum Michael Steele (R, RNC Leader) Thad Cochran (R, MS) - $950K for Nature Education Center Lindsey Graham (R, SC) - $950K for Convention Center Barbara Cubin (R, WY) - $190K for Buffalo Bill Historical Center STAND UP AMERICA!!!
- Biden on earmarks Want to get rid of earmarks? Go to public financing of elections.
- McCain's Earmark Hypocrisy: Seals, Crabs, and Bears! Oh My! John McCain and Sarah Palin on the campaign trail, September 9, 2008
- Flake-Obey Debate on Earmark Reform Congressman Flake discusses the need for accountability in earmark reform with House Appropriations Chairman David Obey.
- CNN takes on Murtha, earmarks CNN looks at Congressional Democrats and earmarks, concludes: "the democrats promised reform. It's not happening." Also: * "What does congressman Murtha have to say in defense of the National Drug Intelligence Center here in Pennsylvania? Surprisingly, nothing at all." * "[A Murtha] Spokesman told us the requests had all been submitted. They are available for review with the committee. Then we got another e-mail saying that he was mistaken, those earmarks aren't available for review after all."
- "Earmarks" -
- McCain Claims Palin Took No Earmarks as Alaska Governor John McCain on The View, September 12, 2008
- Headzup: McCain's Earmark Ferry John McCain is asked about earmarks, while campaigning on a ferry funded by an earmark. Read about it here-- Download daily Catch and Release Comedy™ political cartoons to your mobile phone or iPod at www.headzup.tv
- Notebook: Earmarks Congress has awarded no-bid contracts, also known as earmarks, for everything from an indoor rainforest in Iowa to a study of migratory loons. Katie Couric comments.
- Top 5 Tea Party Offenders On Earmarks New TYT Network channels: New TYT Facebook Page(!): Follow us on Twitter: DISCOUNTS: FREE Movies(!): Note: The above two links are for TYT sponsors. Read Ana's blog and subscribe at: TYT Network (new WTF?! channel): Check Out TYT Interviews Members of the Congressional Tea Party Caucus may tout their commitment to cutting government spending now, but they used the 111th Congress to request hundreds of earmarks that, taken cumulatively, added more than $1 billion to the federal budget. According to a Hotline review of records compiled by Citizens Against Government Waste, the 52 members of the caucus, which pledges to cut spending and reduce the size of government, requested a total of 764 earmarks valued at $1049783150 during Fiscal Year 2010, the last year for which records are available. "It's disturbing to see the Tea Party Caucus requested that much in earmarks. This is their time to put up or shut up, to be blunt," said David Williams, vice president for policy at Citizens Against Government Waste. "There's going to be a huge backlash if they continue to request earmarks." In founding the caucus in July, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) said she was giving voice to Americans who were sick of government over-spending. "The American people are speaking out loud and ...
- DeMint Speech on Omnibus Earmarks Sen. Jim DeMint (RS.C.) speaks on the Senate floor about the 9000-plus earmarks tucked into the omnibus appropriations bill (Mar. 4, 2009).
- Congress Fights -- Finances Earmarks Many of the Congress members who voted for banning earmarks are the same politicians responsible for $8.3 billion worth of earmarks injected into the newest spending bill. Sharyl Attkisson reports.
- ... And Pigs Fly Sarah Palin a champion of earmark reform? Hogwash.
- Dave Douglas - Earmarks Dave Douglas (Trumpet) Donny McCaslin (Tenorsaxophon), Uri Caine (Fender Rhodes) James Genus (Bass) Clarence Penn (Drums Jazz Baltica 2007
- Obama Promises No Earmarks
- Why McCain is Lying About Sarah Palin's Earmarks Watch more at
- House Democrat Earmark Sham House Democrats are passing hidden earmarks in the middle of the night. They don't disclose them to the American People; they don't disclose them to other Members of Congress. In this clip, Rep. Westmoreland forces the Dems (through use of procedure) to admit what they are doing on the record.
- What's An Earmark?- The Omnibus Bill obama said there would be no earmarks in his administration. Disadvantaged children in the District of Columbia will be losing an educational lifeline if a new spending bill is passed on Capitol Hill. At the same time, abortionists and homo***ual activists stand to gain from the Omnibus bill. Dan Lips, a senior policy ***yst with The Heritage Foundation, warns that the new Omnibus bill -- passed by the House on Wednesday essentially along party lines -- will terminate the DC Opportunity Scholarship Program. Currently the program is serving 1700 children with scholarships up to $7500. "This program is simply changing their lives," states Lips. "It's giving these children who are among the poorest in the community in Washington, DC, an opportunity to attend a private school of their parent's choice." The benefits have been noticeable, says Lips. "[T]he evaluations that have been done of this program have shown that parents are more satisfied with their child's new school's safety and learning environment than they otherwise were when the child was in public school," he shares. "This is a program that is making a terrific difference in these children's lives."
- Ron Paul on Earmarks Paul explains why he'll earmark bills or vote for tax credits even though he doesn't believe Congress should do either. From the Robert Taft Club, October 11, 2007.
- Earmarks, shmearmarks Don't fall for the anti-earmark hoax.
- Weekly Address: Exports & Earmarks The President explains his push for exporting American goods in Asia, and urges Congress to address earmarks as a signal of fiscal reform.
- NBC's Jim Popkin Factchecks Biden's Earmarks
- Earmark Hypocrisy By Senator Kyl New TYT Network channels: New TYT Facebook Page(!): Follow us on Twitter: DISCOUNTS: FREE Movies(!): Note: The above two links are for TYT sponsors. Read Ana's blog and subscribe at: TYT Network (new WTF?! channel): Check Out TYT Interviews Much maligned by Republicans since the election, earmarks are defined under US Senate rules as a spending item inserted "primarily at the request of a senator" that goes "to an entity, or (is) targeted to a specific state." This definition fits the actions of Senator Jon Kyl (R-Arizona), one of the most vocal GOP critics of earmarks, who slipped in a $200 million gift for his state after insisting this very same practice of lawmakers needs to end. Kyl, the No. 2 Senate Republican, got his $200 million item into a bill that settles discrimination claims by black farmers and American Indians against the federal government. Kyl's office insisted the spending item was not an earmark. The $200 million was ticketed to settle the water-rights claims of the White Mountain Apache Tribe and fund a drinking water project. On November 9, Kyl issued this statement "I voted for the earmark moratorium when it was offered on the Senate floor on March 16, but it won only 29 votes at the time. I nevertheless refrained from requesting earmarks, and I do not intend to request any in the ...
- Congressman Murtha's Earmarks - Paid for by You A recent report by CBS Evening News "follows the money" on Democratic Congressman John Murtha's (D-PA) earmark trail. According to the report, Murtha has used $2 BILLION taxpayer dollars since 1992 to fund his wasteful pork projects. All the while, he received generous campaign contributions from his earmark recipients.
- Headzup: Bush's Earmarks After threatening to veto bills with earmarks, President Bush is asked about the earmarks he inserted into his budget. Read more about it here-- Download daily Catch and Release Comedy™ political cartoons to your mobile phone or iPod at www.headzup.tv
- Fox News Profile of Sen. Jim DeMint "Special Report," Fox News Channel, January 17, 2007
- Ron Paul Slams Cavuto on Earmarks - Fox News - 3-10-2009 Ron Paul discusses earmarks with Neil Cavuto on Fox News.
- Earmarks are a Phony Issue - We Need Real Fiscal Restraint On the floor of the US Senate, Senator Inhofe discusses how earmarks are a phony issue that distract people from the real spending restraints that are necessary. He also discusses the Bureaucratic Earmarks by the Obama administration that Sean Hannity has brought to light. Instead of making a big deal out of earmarks (eliminating earmarks won't save a single taxpayer dime), the federal government needs the kinds of fiscal restraints provided in the HELP Act.
- Republican Earmark Hypocrisy Senate Republicans took a lot of heat for stuffing a bill with millions of their own earmarks, then trying to claim they oppose earmarks. But Republicans' earmark hypocrisy is even starker when you compare what they are saying in Washington, DC to what they are saying to their constituents back home.
- Ken Calvert's Earmarks Let's send Congress a message this November. Career politicians in Congress are to blame for our economic crisis, and it is time for them to go. Ken Calvert has been profiting off of Riverside & Orange County since 1993 with his excessive earmarks as this Fox News Special highlights. Come this November, vote for anyone but Ken Calvert.
- Obama Promises To Veto Earmarks While previewing the budget he will submit to congress, President Obama says "And I'm going to make sure politics doesn't add to our deficit, by vetoing any bill that contains earmarks." In addition to stripping out waste, his budget includes a freeze on annual domestic spending over the next five years—even for programs he cares deeply about—which will reduce the deficit by more than $400 billion over the next decade. And, it will make investments in the future, by supporting what will do the most to grow the economy in the years to come. This means investing in things like infrastructure, research, and education.
- Obama & McCain debate earmarks @ Oxford, Mississippi Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain debate earmarks and tax plans.
- Jim Harper on Tracking Earmarks on FBN 8-5-09
- Chairman Price shows America what 9286 Earmarks Look Like Republican Study Committee Chairman Tom Price (R-GA) goes through the 2009 Omnibus Appropriations bill, a pork-stuffed spendfest with over 9000 earmarks that comes in at just under half a billion dollars.
- Obama vs. Obama on Earmarks Boy, that Obama sure is a different type of politician! As posted on
- Banning Certain Earmarks Following a series of recent scandals for the Democratic Party, Nancy Cordes reports Congressional leaders are aiming for ethical reform by banning earmarks for private companies.
- Perriello v. Goode Debate: Earmarks Tom and Virgil on earmarks
- DeMint Challenges Senate to One-Year Earmark Ban Sen. Jim DeMint (RS.C.) challenges his Senate colleagues to support his amendment to swear of earmarks for one year so they can better address the fiscal crisis facing the nation. Unfortunately, the Senate voted to keep their earmarks by a vote of 68-29 (Mar. 16, 2010).
- Democrats At The Trough: Spotlight on Earmark Abuse Democrat promises for earmark transparency have given way to secrecy and back room deals. This House Republican Conference video, "Spotlight on Abuse" shows why congress needs to let the sunshine in and support real earmark reform. Visit GOP.gov for more information.
- Barack Obama Stimulus Plan "Without Earmarks" Hard to believe what someone can say and not be called out on it, Obama says the Stimulus Plans is "without earmarks" and "we want Transparency and Accountability". I guess that Transparency wouldn't be applied to the Republican Senators who couldn't read what was in the bill before they signed it, I guess Obama could really say anything, and half of the population really would not even care....
Blogs & Forum
blogs and forums about earmarks
“House Republicans approved a conference-wide moratorium on earmarks on Thursday. House Republicans approved a conference-wide moratorium on earmarks on Thursday, one day after a House committee enacted a ban on for-profit earmarks”
— House GOP votes to ban all earmarks - The Hill's Blog,
“Home " Newsroom " Blog. Ending Earmarks: An Important Step Toward announced my support for a moratorium on earmarks as a first step to putting the”
— Ending Earmarks: An Important Step Toward Budgetary Reform, markudall.senate.gov
“No earmarks. Earmarks have become a symbol of a broken Washington, and should adhere to a personal no-earmarks policy that stands as an example for all”
— Earmarks | The Next Right,
“Community Blog Posts. Earmarks do not have a place in today's political environment. The Read. Blog. Cato Expert Deconstructs WaPo Earmarks Defense - 3 days ago. When a former Reagan staffer writes a gushing defense of”
— Blog " Taxpayers Against Earmarks | ,
“News, Commentary, and What to Watch on Blog Feed. Catalogue of FY 2010 Earmarks. Posted by Jim Harper, April 12, 2009 at 4:11 pm. UPDATE: Here is the latest list of "wanted" earmarks in our earmark hunting contest. (Updated July 19, 2009 to include Senate reforms and links)”
— Catalogue of FY 2010 Earmarks – The Blog,
“Just a few years ago crowdsourcing was a novel concept, mainly untried. Now that the idea has gained traction, it’s being used in everything from customer service to tagging data to microvolunteering to generating useful ideas”
— Earmarks — Sunlight Foundation Blog,
“WhiteHouse.gov is the official web site for the White House and President Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States. This site is a source for information about the President, White House news and policies, White House history, and”
— Changing the Trend on Earmarks | The White House, whitehouse.gov
“Fewer, But Costlier Earmarks in 2010. February 17, 2010 - by Donny Shaw 2,000 fewer earmarks this year, the total cost of all earmarks actually increased by $300”
— Blog - Articles Tagged 'earmarks' - OpenCongress,