- In the first part of this paper we present a non-technical ***ysis of earmarking. Earmarking – assigning revenues from designated sources to finance designated expenditures – is. — “Earmarking in Theory and Korean Practice *”, rotman.utoronto.ca
- Definition of earmarking in the Legal Dictionary - by Free online English dictionary and encyclopedia. What is earmarking? Meaning of earmarking as a legal term. What does earmarking mean in law?. — “earmarking legal definition of earmarking. earmarking”, legal-
- Earmarking - Definition of Earmarking on Investopedia - Funds (or capital) that are set aside to pay for a specific project or event. In some cases, the term is also synonymous with the word. — “Earmarking Definition”,
- Earmarking reform. February 5, 2008. By Mike Pence. Airplane pilots know that when you're flying a plane and the gauges start telling you something is wrong, the first thing you do is put the airplane on the ground, check out the engine and figure out what's wrong. — “PENCE OP-ED: EARMARKING REFORM”, mikepence.house.gov
- Find more about earmarking, that was introduced by the Pensions Act 1995, allowing the former spouse to access a members retirement benefits from a divorce. — “Earmarking UK | Divorce | Procedures and Limitations”,
- As the Senate Republican Conference moves to ban earmarking by the chamber's Republicans, the next question arises: What about the House? Will the new, young reform Republicans that. — “Conservative Talk Radio, Local, National News, Traffic, 870”,
- So someone proposes earmarking specific revenues - part of the state income tax, sales tax, gasoline tax, or lottery earnings - to support the desired program. But it often doesn't work that way, according to a study on state tax-earmarking for the National Council of State Legislatures. — “Study Questions Fiscal Earmarking / The Christian Science”,
- At the workshop panelists discussed and evaluated different definitions that have been employed by the Office of Management and Budget, AAAS, and the Chronicle of Higher Education to quantify the extent of noncompetitive, specified earmarks in the research budgets of federal agencies. — “Earmarking of Science”,
- First, for definition, earmarking is the practice of dedicating a revenue stream to a specific purpose. About 87% of state tax revenue was earmarked, the highest in the nation (compared to an average of 22% in other states). Some find benefits in this. — “Left In Alabama:: Alabama and earmarking”,
- "Earmarking" is the term used to refer to a provision in legislation that directs funds to be spent on specific projects. Typically, legislators seek to insert earmarks which direct a specified amount of money to a particular organization or project in his/her home state or district. — “Earmarks - SourceWatch”,
- Airplane pilots know that when you're flying a plane and the gauges start telling you something is wrong, the first thing you do is put the airplane on the ground, check out the engine and figure out what's wrong. — “Earmarking reform - Washington Times”,
- Pork-Barrel Politics A slang term used when politicians or governments 'unofficially' undertake projects that benefit a group of citizens in return of a grant to a certain university to conduct weapons research—it is "earmarking" the funds, just as some farm animals are marked on the ear to. — “Pork-Barrel Politics: Definition from ”,
- In United States politics, an earmark is a legislative (especially congressional) provision that directs approved funds to be spent on specific projects, or that directs specific exemptions from taxes or mandated fees. The term "earmark" is used in this sense only in the United States. — “Earmark (politics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia”,
- I will be speaking about "earmarking". The term pork barrel is introduced in Chapter 12 of "We The People" and says Congress often uses "pork barreling as an opportunity to provide direct benefits to their constituents. The most common form of pork barreling is earmarking". — “Earmarking”, faculty.roosevelt.edu
- Brief and Straightforward Guide: What is Personal Tax Earmarking? Personal Tax Earmarking. Suppose that each government agency selected a certain portion of its budget to be paid at the choosing of the taxpayers. — “What is Personal Tax Earmarking?”,
- Lawmakers aligned with the tea party are moving quickly to show their strength by trying to ban budget earmarking in the Senate, where support is still strong for the practice critics deride as pork-barrel spending. — “Tea Party-Aligned Senators Push to Ban Earmarks - ”,
- The politically powerful use earmark- ing as a way to resolve uncertainty and constrain the future government. predicts that earmarked policies will be implemented when the government is con. — “Earmarking, Party Politics and Gubernatorial Veto: Theory and”, olin.wustl.edu
- Earmarking is the budgeting practice of dedicating tax or other revenues to a specific program or The core disadvantage of earmarking is the inflexibility or rigidity that. — “Earmarking State Tax Revenues”, house.leg.state.mn.us
- A coalition of lobbyists and public-interest advocates on Tuesday presented five principles for reforming the earmarking process. A coalition of lobbyists and public-interest advocates on Tuesday presented five principles for reforming the. — “Lobbyists and watchdog groups form coalition to push for”,
- Conressional earmarking is a $30 billion a year business and while lawmakers claim the spending goes to benefit their districts, it also has a funny way of benefitting major campaign donors. Earmarking, write Silverstein, "is the the polite term for political. — “earmarking | Public Campaign Action Fund”,
- Definition of earmarking in the Online Dictionary. Meaning of earmarking. Pronunciation of earmarking. Translations of earmarking. earmarking synonyms, earmarking antonyms. Information about earmarking in the free online English dictionary and. — “earmarking - definition of earmarking by the Free Online”,
- The U.S. government has earmarked $29 billion for pork-barrel projects this year, according to a report released on Wednesday by Citizens Against Government Waste. The House appropriations committee provided its own numbers, which claim $17. — “What, exactly, is an earmark? - By Daniel Engber - Slate Magazine”,
related videos for earmarking
- 8 14 09 CSPAN Live Panel Earmarking funds for Florida
- Can John Mccain put Lipstick on Sarah Palin's Pork? This is beyond karma at this point. Here's John McCain with one of his endlessly repeated, grandpa-at-Thanksgiving, punchline provided, anecdotes: "We're not going to spend $3 million of your tax dollars to study the DNA of bears in Montana," McCain said earlier this year, referring to a request from Montana for federal money to study the endangered grizzly bear. "I don't know if it was a paternity issue or criminal, but it was a waste of money." Here's what Sarah Palin brought home to Alaska in pork: According to a summary of requests for federal appropriations posted to her budget offices website earlier this year, Palin requested millions of federal dollars for everything from improving recreational halibut fishing to studying the mating habits of crabs and the DNA of harbor seals. Sure, he vetted her. But all this is only really instructive when you listen to Palin on the stump: In just three years our opponent has requested nearly one billion dollars in earmarks. Thats nearly a million dollars for every working day, Palin told a crowd in Lebanon, Ohio, Tuesday. So as we reform the abusive earmarks in our state our opponent was requesting nearly a billion dollars in earmarks as a senatorial privilege as I was vetoing half a billion as an executive responsibility. The DNA of seals? As part of her executive experience that the McCain campaign so highly promotes, Sarah Palin requested millions in earmarks from Congress. Three of them ...
- Rep. Tom Price Praises the Decision by House Republicans to Put a Moratorium on Earmarks Rep. Tom Price (R-GA) praises the decision by the House Republican conference to issue a moratorium on earmarks that will help restore fiscal responsibility in Congress.
- McCain on Earmarks during First Debate TRANSCRIPT JOHN MCCAIN: And the worst symptom of this disease is what my friend Tom Coburn calls earmarking as a gateway drug because its a gateway, its a gateway to out of control spending and corruption. And we have former members of Congress now residing in Federal prison because of the evils of earmarking and pork barrel spending. You know, we spent $3 million dollars to study the DNA of bears in Montana. I dont know if that was a criminal issue or a paternal issue. But the fact is, that it was $3 million dollars of our tax payers money. And it has got to be brought under control. As President of the United States, I want to assure you Ive got a pen this ones kind of old Ive got a pen and Im going to veto every single spending bill that comes across my desk. I will make them famous that you will know their names. Now Senator Obama he wanted- you wont know the difference is. He has asked for $932 million dollars of earmark, pork barrel spending, nearly a million dollars for every day that hes been in the United States Senate. I suggest that people go up on the website of citizens against government waste, and theyll look at those projects. That kind of thing is not the way to reign in run away spending in Washington, DC Thats one of the fundamental differences that Senator Obama and I have. [ Obama response ] MCCAIN: Well again I dont mean to go back and forth. Senator Obama suspended those requests for pork barrel projects after he was running for President of the ...
- Rediscover Your Party: Episode 2 The second episode features Congressman Jeb Hensarling (TX), along with Republican Leader John Boehner and Republican Whip Roy Blunt, discussing the necessity to enact real, comprehensive earmark reform. The members also remind the American voters of the consequences of the Democrats failure to support openness and transparency in the earmarking process.
- Jeff Flake on Earmark Reform Jeff Flake talks about earmark reform on the House floor on September 14, 2006.
- Ron Paul: The Smartest Man EVER Ron Paul has a system where he puts earmarks in a bill that he knows will pass, but then votes against the bill. He is a genius. *ps, I am joking. His policy is full of holes. It is completely irrational and hypocritical. He is taking advantage of a flawed system.
- Representative Jeff Flake on the Role of Congress and Earmarks Rep. Jeff Flake is against the corrupting practice of earmarking. Pork barrel spending has been a part of the United States federal government for years but bringing transparency and real reform will not happen without elected officials that are willing to take a stand against this wasteful practice.
- Earmarks, a difference of opinion Even some Republican elected officials don't get the public's anger and disgust at the process of earmarking, slipping in spending items without debate, comment or hearings, sometimes opposed by the departments and agencies themselves, to reward "special people and projects" back home.
- Congressman Sestak Discusses Piracy, Defense Budget, Auto Bailout and Earmarks Congressman Joe Sestak (PA07) discusses piracy, the defense budget, the auto-bailout and earmarking on FOX Business News on April 13, 2009
- Ken Buck Gets the Truth From Michael Bennet on His Concern for Earmarking - United States Senate candidates Ken Buck and Michael Bennet debating at the Club 20 debates in Grand Junction, Colorado. Visit Ken Buck's website (http to find future events and learn more about Ken Buck, the grassroots choice for US Senate in Colorado.
- Earmarks: Members of Congress Who Are Standing Against Wasteful Spending and Earmarks Taxpayers Against Earmarks had the privilege of talking to several Members of Congress who have taken a stand against the corrupting, wasteful practice of earmarking. Please watch this video and hear some of the thoughts from Jim DeMint, Mike Pence, Marsha Blackburn, Jeff Flake, Virginia Foxx, and Senator Mike Johanns.
- McCain NH Town Hall on House Iraq Supplemental John McCain on the House's version of the Iraq Supplemental at a Plymouth, NH town hall.
- Earmarks Are Crippling the National Hydrogen Energy Program Bob Rose, President of the US Fuel Cell Council, describes how the widespread practice of congressional earmarking of specifically allocated funds are crippling the National Hydrogen Energy Program by draining off up to 40 percent of monies to pet state projects. This example hints at how other important programs that are successfully funded are ripped apart and rendered ineffective by earmarking.
- Senator Jim DeMint Discusses the Earmark Favor Factory in Congress Senator DeMint is against the corrupting practice of earmarking. Pork barrel spending has been a part of the United States federal government for years but bringing transparency and real reform will not happen without elected officials that are willing to take a stand against this wasteful practice.
- Rep. Bill Cassidy (LA-06) Discusses His Bi-Partisan Earmark Transparency Legislation on Fox Business Congressman Bill Cassidy (R-Louisiana) discusses the legislation he introduced along with Congresswoman Jackie Speier (D-California) to make the earmarking process more transparent and accountable.
- We Must Reform the Earmark Process Continuing her fight to reform the way the Senate does business, Claire pledged to keep fighting for an end to the practice of earmarks. On Nov. 30, the Senate voted on an amendment to ban earmarks in any appropriations bills through Fiscal Year 2013. Unfortunately, the amendment -- which McCaskill introduced with Senators Tom Coburn (R-OK), John McCain (R-AZ) and Mark Udall (D-CO) -- failed to clear the procedural hurdle of 67 votes needed for it to be considered. "Make no mistake about it, it may not be this year, it may not be next year, but the American people are on to us," McCaskill said on the Senate floor in advance of the vote. "They now know and understand that earmarking is about who you are. It's about what committee you sit on. It's about who you know."
- McCaskill Speaks on Senate Floor about Earmark Reform Speaking about her earmark reform amendment, Senator McCaskill explains the cost of the earmarking process to American taxpayers.
- The Economy and The New Congress - Susan Lee on Bloomberg Center for American Progress Vice President for Economic Policy Susan Lee joined Bloomberg News on Capitol Hill as Congress opened its 110th Session to discuss the state of the US economy and the challenges facing the Democrat-controlled Congress including earmarking and raising the minimum wage. 1/4/07 For more on the Center's Economic Policy work please see Add to the collective genius in 2007.
- ear marking November 19,2008
- John McCain: Town Hall 04/30/08 John McCain Town Hall Meeting Allentown, PA 04/30/08 TRANSCRIPT: QUESTIONER: "Senator earlier you were talking about the inefficiency of the organization on your medical records and you're also talking about—" JOHN MCCAIN: "I was just joking. We are, if I may say, we are moving forward with that process. We have, uh, are compiling all of my medical records. It is still many months before the election and people cast the vote to decide. And so we'll get it out in a very timely fashion..." QUESTIONER: "But if I could just meld these two concepts, with the earmarks. You've talked about the millions and billions that you think are available to be saved with the earmark process—" MCCAIN: "I know that, I don't think so, I know so." QUESTIONER: "Well at a certain point is your campaign provide a hard figure? Are they going to...and when will that be?" MCCAIN: "Yes and we'll have that rather soon too. But we have already had a fundamental disagreement with many of the critics. I believe that growing the economy is the answer to our difficulties . . . " QUESTIONER: "But your campaign will provide a hard figure on how much savings you will have if we eliminate earmarks, these nine thousand earmarks—" MCCAIN: "Oh, I don't, I, we will, I can tell you right now. There's 35 billion dollars in one bill, uhh, and by in two bills that the President signed, in two omnibus appropriations bills. $17 billion in one, and $18 billion in another. $65 billion, or rough, $60 billion in earmarks in ...
- CNN says Ron Paul charged with earmarking for his district CNN stated that Ron Paul is charged with earmarking money for his congressional district in Texas. CNN also asks if this is the first sign of "convoluted logic" from Ron Paul. To view the ENTIRE interview of Ron Paul on Meet the Press, which aired 12-23-07, click the link below.
- Congressman Jeff Flake on the earmarks in the Defense Bill Congressman Jeff Flake explains the problems of earmarking the defense bill.
- Mike Pence at RSC Earmarks Presser Mike Pence explains why the House needs to change its earmarking rules.
- Foreign Policy Debate - Solving Financial Crisis: Are the... www.c- SEN. MCCAIN: Well, the first thing we have to do is get spending under control in Washington. It's completely out of control. It's gone -- we have now presided over the largest increase in the size of government since the Great Society. We Republicans came to power to change government and government changed us. And the -- the worst symptom of this disease is what my friend Tom Coburn calls "earmarking as a gateway drug," because it's a gateway. It's a gateway to out-of-control spending and corruption. And we have former members of Congress now residing in federal prison because of the evils of this earmarking and pork-barrel spending. You know, we spent $3 million to study the DNA of bears in Montana. I don't know if that was a criminal issue or a paternal issue, but the fact is that it was $3 million of our taxpayers' money and it has got to be brought under control. As president of the United States, I want to assure you, I've got a pen -- this one's kind of old -- I've got a pen and I'm going to veto every single spending bill that comes across my desk. I will make them famous. You will know their names. Now, Senator Obama, you wanted to know one of the differences. He has asked for $932 million of earmark pork-barrel spending, nearly a million dollars for every day that he's been in the United States Senate. I suggest that people go up on the website of -- of Citizens Against Government Waste, and they'll look at those projects. That kind of ...
- The Earmarking Debate Explained - Why It is an Issue, and Why it Isn't Alex Merced explains on what earmarking is, and how that the only solution is a ban on earmarks and not a reduction cause that doesn't reduce spending
- King & Queen of Earmark Pork Not just for Washington, anymore! Learn who is earmarking the pork in the Texas House. To learn more about getting involved please visit:
- DIscussing earmarks with Neil Cavuto Congresswoman Jackie Speier tells Fox News' Neil Cavuto what she's doing to reform the earmarking process
- Len Britton Observes Algae Blooms in St. Albans Bay Len observes the St. Albans Bay algae blooms firsthand and pledges to do more to cleanup the Lake. Earmarking funding in a piecemeal manner for political gain is unacceptable when dealing with one of Vermont's most precious natural resources. As Senator, Len will push for a comprehensive and fully-funded cleanup plan
- John McCain Speaking on the Senate Floor against earmarking, February 2007
- AFP on Anderson Cooper 360 Americans for Prosperity exposes the problem of earmarking and pork-barrel spending in Congress.
- Listen to the President In his weekly address, President Obama called for an end to the corrupt practice of earmarking. As one of the most active and unabashed earmarkers, Jim Moran should heed Obama's words. For more information on Moran's earmarking habits, visit .
- Government Reform Senator John McCain talks about the need for reform in government. Go to towatch more John McCain YouTube videos. You can receive the latest official YouTube videos from the McCain campaign by watching this video or going to logging on to your YouTube account, and clicking "Subscribe" just above the box where this message is displayed on the page. Subscribe today, and tell 10 of your friends to join you in subscribing. John McCain for President:
- Earmarking a greyhound
- Feingold Unveils Major Bill to Slash the Deficit, Cut Wasteful Spending For more information, please visit: feingold.senate.gov Washington, DC -- US Senator Russ Feingold, a member of the Senate Budget Committee, unveiled major legislation today to cut wasteful spending and institute reforms to control spending going forward. Control Spending Now Act is a comprehensive plan comprised of more than forty individual efforts to reduce the deficit by more than half a trillion dollars over ten years and institute reforms to the budgeting and earmarking process to prevent wasteful spending. In addition to those institutional reforms, Feingolds bill will make Congress tighten its belt, crack down on corporate welfare, curb subsidies to big agribusinesses and other private enterprises and cut other wasteful spending on unnecessary projects. Fiscal responsibility is a Wisconsin tradition and something I have focused on throughout my time in the Senate, Feingold said. A consistent message I hear from Wisconsinites regardless of party is the need to reduce wasteful spending. With our nation facing record deficits, Americans are rightly concerned that their children and grandchildren will be forced to shoulder this burden. That is why I am committed to attacking the deficit from all sides. Along with earmarking and budget reforms, the bill also seeks to save taxpayer dollars by eliminating wasteful programs including: - $244 billion by rescinding unobligated TARP payments and returning them to the Treasury - $4 billion by cancelling the contract for 10 ...
- Senator Mike Johanns of Nebraska Talks Why He is Against Earmarks Senator Mike Johanns of Nebraska is against the corrupting practice of earmarking. Pork barrel spending has been a part of the United States federal government for years but bringing transparency and real reform will not happen without elected officials that are willing to take a stand against this wasteful practice.
- Republican brand is in the toilet - worst since Watergate The GOP image is so stale, said Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.), in a memo to colleagues last week, that "if we were a dog food, they would take us off the shelf" because nobody is buying it. The bad news has come from Illinois, Louisiana and Mississippi -- a string of unexpected Republican defeats in congressional elections that have prompted GOP leaders to say, with candor unusual in politics, that the party is facing an outright catastrophe this November. Increasingly, top Republicans are calling on their party to reinvent itself or risk driving away more voters and donors. But even while facing crisis, the GOP is finding that change, if it comes, will not come easily. The difficulty of a swift reinvention was on display last week as the central players in Washington's conservative community gathered for their weekly strategy session, the Wednesday Meeting, held in a conference room of Grover Norquist's Americans for Tax Reform organization. A senior advisor to the GOP's presumptive presidential nominee, John McCain, was on hand along with the Republican Party's national chairman to make the case for McCain's brand of Republicanism. McCain's approach -- tough on taxes, but receptive to immigrants and committed to easing global warming -- could help paint the GOP in new colors, more attractive to independent voters, Latinos and women. Some GOP leaders now say that by embracing McCain and his policy platform, Republicans would instantly "rebrand" and reinvigorate their ...
- RSC Earmark Presser The House Republican Study Committee holds a press conference favoring a proposed rule change that would change the culture of earmarking on Capitol Hill.
- KS03; DeMint & Moran; Part 8 of 11 Date: July 9, 2010 Event: Jim DeMint with Jerry Moran Location: Olathe American Legion Hall Type of Recording: Video Crowd Size: About 75 people Recap: Senator Jim DeMint(R-SC) speaking with Jerry Moran who is running for US Senate Press Coverage There was a television station there Other Speakers, VIPs, Elected Official Speech Notes: Man asks question about Moran's stance on earmarking- Moran says the country is financially broke and politics need to change and earmarks have become a way of life and allows bills go through that shouldn't. Has tried to call a moratorium on earmarks- almost all Republicans, he says, are in support of foregoing earmarks and they are a symptom of the problem in Washington. It rewards people with money that we don't have. DeMint says we're giving our money away and money that we're borrowing from China. We are bankrupt but we're giving money for things we don't really need. There is a conflict of interest with parochial spending and national interest and the Constitution does not say you are to get money and come back to your district and fill every pothole. Earmarks are not just a small part of the total budget. Parochial spending has no place when the country is in trouble- allows Democratic bills to get passed.
- Re: Earmarking the R3VOLution What are earmarks and why Ron Paul votes against the earmarks he proposes
- Obama, Rachel Maddow rip Palin's 'Bridge to Nowhere' lies Wasilla had received few if any earmarks before Palin became mayor. She actively sought federal funds -- a campaign that began to pay off only after she hired a lobbyist with close ties to Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), who long controlled federal spending as chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee. He made funneling money to Alaska his hallmark. Steven Silver was a former chief of staff for Stevens. After he was hired, Wasilla obtained funding for several projects in 2002, including an additional $600000 in transportation funding. That year, a local water and sewer project received $1.5 million, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense, which combs federal spending measures to identify projects inserted by congressional members. When Palin spoke after McCain introduced her as his running mate at a rally in Ohio last week, she made fun of earmarking. She said she had rejected $223 million in federal funds for a bridge linking Ketchikan to an island with an airport and 50 residents, referring to it by its derogatory label: the "bridge to nowhere." In the nationally televised speech, she stood by McCain and said, "I've championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. In fact, I told Congress thanks, but no thanks, on that bridge to nowhere. If our state wanted a bridge, I said, we'd build it ourselves." However, as a candidate for governor in 2006, Palin had backed funding for the bridge. After her election, she killed the much-ridiculed project ...
- The Word is Earmarks Originally, an "earmark" was defined as "a mark of identification on the ear of an animal". In more recent times, an earmark has come to mean a member of Congress earmarking federal money for a pet program or project.
Blogs & Forum
blogs and forums about earmarking
“CREW has long advocated that if the practice of earmarking continues, there must be real transparency and accountability in the Over the years, neither party's efforts at reforming the earmarking process has been completely successful”
— blog | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington,
“BLOG. Sunlight, Sunburn, and an Earmarking Proposal from Senator /blog/trackback/sunlight-sunburn-and-an-earmarking-proposal-from”
— Sunlight, Sunburn, and an Earmarking Proposal from Senator,
“About the contributors| Subscribe | Blog Home. Joni Balter. Lance Dickie. Bruce Ramsey. Kate Riley. Lynne Varner. Jim Vesely. January 31, 2008 9:37 AM. Earmarking earmarks The earmarking process invites backroom deals and sometimes unethical, or even corrupt behavior”
— Ed cetera | Earmarking earmarks | Seattle Times Newspaper Blog,
“One controversial practice of the U.S. Congress which has recently been the subject of heightened criticism and much debate is that of earmarking. Earmarking is”
— Earmarking | TransLegal,
“Louisiana Family Forum, earmarking, Vitter, Brayton, Blumenthal and Perkins Once again Ed Brayton, who is also meticulous, posted an update at his blog, questioning who knew what and when. He questioned an claim Max Blumenthal made in his”
— Louisiana Family Forum, earmarking, Vitter, Brayton,
“Public Campaign Action Fund is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to improving America's campaign finance laws. We help enact, defend, and promote Clean Elections-style public financing in states around the country like Arizona and”
— earmarking | Public Campaign Action Fund,
“Yesterday, President Bush followed through on his threat to veto the Water Resources Development Act (H.R. 1495), a bill that would authorize $23 billion be spent on dam, levee and waterway projects throughout the country. Because the projects”
— Earmarking: The Good, the Bad, the. — Sunlight Foundation Blog,
“Home > The Auction Blog > Earmarking for Clinton. Earmarking for Clinton. BY Josh Israel Monthly Blog Archives. Blog Categories. Ad Buys. Campaign Finance”
— The Buying of the President 2008 : The Auction Blog,