- Definition of diphthong in the Dictionary. Meaning of diphthong. What does diphthong mean? Proper usage of the word diphthong. Information about diphthong in the dictionary, synonyms and antonyms. — “What does diphthong mean? definition and meaning (Free”,
- diphthong (plural diphthongs) (phonetics) A complex vowel sound that begins with the sound of one vowel and ends with the sound of another vowel, in the same syllable. German: Diphthong de(de) m., Doppellaut de(de) m., Zwielaut de(de) m. — “diphthong - Wiktionary”,
- Diphthong: A complex speech sound or glide that begins with one vowel and gradually changes to another vowel within the same syllable, as (oi) in boil or (ī) in fine. — “diphthong - definition and meaning from Wordnik”,
- A Diphthong (pronounced "DIF-thong") is a vowel that a person has to move his or her mouth into two different positions to make. In a diphthong, the person combines two different monophthongs, as with the "oi" sound in the word "oil. — “Diphthong - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia”,
- In phonetics, a vowel in which there is a noticeable sound change within the same syllable. A diphthong is the gliding sound of combining vowels, as in the oy in the head-smacking Yiddish oy veh. — “diphthong - definition and examples of diphthongs”,
- How to pronounce the Spanish diphthong au. Diphthongs occur when an unstressed "i", "u", or "y-ending" appears next to another vowel in the same syllable. — “Spanish Pronunciation - diphthong au”,
- Diphthongs contrast with monophthongs, where only one vowel sound is heard in a syllable. Where two adjacent vowel sounds occur in different syllables, as in, for example, the English word re-elect, the result is described as hiatus, not as a diphthong. — “Diphthong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia”,
- Definition of diphthong from Webster's New World College Dictionary. Meaning of diphthong. Pronunciation of diphthong. Definition of the word diphthong. Origin of the word diphthong. — “diphthong - Definition of diphthong at ”,
- Diphthongs are represented by two symbols, for example English "same" as [seIm], where the two vowel symbols are intended to represent approximately the beginning and ending tongue positions. Falling diphthongs are stressed on the first element; raising diphthongs on the second. — “Diphthong - Definition”,
- The design portfolio of Max Han***. — “Max Han*** Media Arts”,
- Diphthong summary with 11 pages of lesson plans, quotes, chapter summaries, ***ysis, encyclopedia entries, essays, research information, and more. — “Diphthong Summary and ***ysis Summary | ”,
- DIPHTHONG: Review the definition, meaning, pronunciation, explanation, synonyms, and antonyms of the term DIPHTHONG in the Online Dictionary. What is a 9 letter word that starts with D?. — “Definition of DIPHTHONG (Meaning of DIPHTHONG), a 9 Letter Word”,
- Diphthongs are types of vowels where two vowel sounds are connected in a continuous, gliding motion. Most languages have a number of diphthongs, although that number varies widely, from only one or two to fif*** or more. — “What are Diphthongs?”,
- Definition of diphthong in the Online Dictionary. Meaning of diphthong. Pronunciation of diphthong. Translations of diphthong. diphthong synonyms, diphthong antonyms. Information about diphthong in the free online English dictionary and. — “diphthong - definition of diphthong by the Free Online”,
- Definition of word from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary with audio pronunciations, thesaurus, Word of the Day, and word games. Examples of DIPHTHONG. The sounds of "ou" in "out" and of "oy" in "boy" are diphthongs. Origin of DIPHTHONG. Middle English diptonge, from Middle French diptongue, from. — “Diphthong - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster”, merriam-
- We found 35 dictionaries with English definitions that include the word diphthong: Click on the first link on a line below to go directly to a page where "diphthong" is defined. General (29 matching dictionaries) diphthong: Compact Oxford English Dictionary [home, info]. — “Definitions of diphthong - OneLook Dictionary Search”,
- Where two adjacent vowel sounds occur in different syllables, as in, for example, the English word re-elect, the result is described as hiatus, not as a diphthong. Diphthongs often form when separate vowels are run together in rapid speech during a conversation. — “Diphthong”,
- diphthong n. A complex speech sound or glide that begins with one vowel and gradually changes to another vowel within the same syllable, as (oi) in. — “diphthong: Definition from ”,
- Lots of free phonics worksheets and games for children grades 1-6. Topics include alphabet, long/short vowels, consonant blends and digraph, vowel diphthongs, rcontrolled vowels, silent letters and much more.Many free worksheets available for. — “vowel diphthong”,
- Diphthong definition, an unsegmentable, gliding speech sound varying continuously in phonetic quality but held to be a single sound or phoneme and identified by i See more. — “Diphthong | Define Diphthong at ”,
- DIPHTHONG Defined Using a Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Search Engine. — “diphthong - Definition of diphthong at Dictionary”,
related videos for diphthong
- How to pronounce the "Great Day" diphthong Pronunciation lesson for people who learned English as a second language. How to say a gliding vowel sound, a diphthong. For instruction in English pronunciation and accent, visit . Please leave comments if you found this video useful!
- onThHomericHymnToZeus-NormanB-DeviationsFrThNorm On The HOMERIC HYMN to ZEUS ai /-E AE Paeon! 'In the beginning' began with Ginnungagap And with Gibson AmaltheAudhumla. The dieresis I use with in my rap Is not what you know as an umlaut. The diphthong called ai by phoneticists' peons, As in Aigaios, Is /-E in Anglicized anglers' paeans, To Norse, AE, laek aet West, adios. Adios ... a Dios ... vaya con Dios. Dioscouri! My God! Dios means Zeus! Tho' they thought they got aced When they lay down to rest, I deduce deal delivered the deuce. NOTES ON THIS POEM'S OBSCURE MEANINGS 1. Ginnungagap is Chaos or deep space, from which Earth & everything comes. 2. Amalthea is Greek mythology's primordial goat who suckled the infant Zeus. 3. Audhumla is Norse mythology's primordial cow whose milk fed giant Ymir, the first humanoid. 4. Pro tennis's Althea Gibson was the first African-American woman to be a world champion athlete. 5. A Dieresis is 2 dots over a vowel meaning that the 2 vowels together are pronounced in 2 separate syllables, that is, not an aural diphthong. 6. An Umlaut is 2 dots over a vowel meaning the vowel sound pronunciation is distorted. 7. An aural diphthong is 2 vowels blended together pronounced as 1 syllable, as when the vowels "ai" are pronounced as the English word "I." 8. A printing diphthong is 2 letter-characters conjoined, as the AE in Encyclopaedia Britannica. 9. paeon & paean & peon are 3 different words pronounced approximately the same. 10. AEgeus, traditionally pronounced EE JEE US, is here over ...
- IPA DIPHTHONGS
- Understanding the AY diphthong: American English Pronunciation TRANSCRIPT: See more videos like this and exercises at
- DIPHTHONG! I DONT KNO WHERE I GET THIS STUFF!
- Posterior probabilities of MLP for diphthong ae-i
- Words with the OW /aʊ/ Diphthong - Part 1 (now, how, wow, ...) American English Pronunciation ==== 49 fairly-common words with the OW /aʊ/ diphthong ==== Listen and repeat these words to help you improve your American English pronunciation. ==== now, how, wow, cow, eyebrow, meow, out, shout, trout, about, without, checkout, workout, found, sound, round, ground, around, loud, cloud, crowd, allowed / aloud, house, mouse, blouse, courthouse, dog house, brown, town, frown, noun, mountain, south, mouth, ouch, couch, ounce, bounce, announce, pronounce, owl, growl, foul / fowl, flower, shower, powder, coward ==== This video was designed for ESL and EFL students and also for non-American native English speakers who are trying to master an American accent. ========================= American English Pronunciation =========================
- Understanding the AI diphthong: American English Pronunciation TRANSCRIPT: See more videos to help you speak better English at
- Arabic Leen letters Diphthong When there is a letter with Fathah "a" and next letter is ya saakin , it produces "ay sound (some cases "ai"). This is called Ya Leen or soft Ya
- Game about diphthongs A game to check that you memorized the diphthongs that we saw in the previous class
- Diphthong Revision This video is for students who've already learnt the British Diphthongs (compound vowels) in one-to-one lessons. Just listen, watch, and repeat to supplement your other revision. To find out more about one-to-one Accent Reduction lessons go to
- Understanding the OY diphthong: American English Pronunciation TRANSCRIPT: See more videos and exercises at to help you improve your American Accent!
- Phonics Song 3 - Digraphs and Diphthongs "BLUEGRASS" Please SUBSCRIBE, RATE and COMMENT. This Banjo picking FUN phonics video will help kids understand second-tier concepts in decoding the English language.
- Vowels and Diphthongs in Brazilian Portuguese In this lesson I explain how to pronounce consecutive vowel combinations in portuguese as diphthongs or in hiatus. I also review all oral and nasal vowels.
- Phoneme ou,ow Lessons in Diphthong:ou,ow
- Posterior probabilities of RSC for diphthong ae-i
- Phonemes - Diphthongs Here are the Diphthongs
- Diphthong Hubbard Street at its best
- Posterior probabilities of PLM for diphthong ae-i
- Diphthong 1'00" video by the artist 10:21AM. Maastricht / Amsterdam, 2002
- Vowels: diphthongs (learn English with pie) There are 8 diphthongs in the English language. This video is from , the efl/esl site for learners and teachers of English.
- Diphthong by Brian Enos Diphthong by Brian Enos, created for Hubbard Street Dance Chicago.
- Pronouncing Spanish Vowel Combinations (Diphthongs/Hiatus) In this lesson I cover the rules for pronouncing vowel combinations, or two consecutive vowels, in Spanish. Basically, the issue is whether to pronounce them together, in a single syllable (diphthong), or as two distinct syllables (hiatus). Here are the rules and some examples...
- Phoneme oo, oe Lesson in Diphthong: oo, oe
- Diphthong Brian Enos' "Diphthong" performed by Hubbard Street Dance Chicago.
- Understanding the EW diphthong: American English Pronunciation TRANSCRIPT: See more videos and exercises at to help you improve your American accent.
- Faroese Language reading - Svínoy Dialect WHAT DOES FAROESE SOUND LIKE? In the North Isles of Faroe incl. Svínoy, and Northern Eysturoy, the vowel 'á' is pronounced [aa:] as opposed to rest of Faroe, where 'á' is pronounced [oa:]. A feature special to Svínoy (and Fugloy) is the flat pronounciation of the diphthong 'æ', slightly different from rest of Faroe. In this reading, the diphthong 'ei' is pronounced [oi:] when long, and [oi:] or [o:] when short. This is the case in the North Isles, Eysturoy and Northern Streymoy. In the rest of Faroe, incl. Tórshavn 'ei' is pronounced [ai:](eye). ð = SILENT SPECIAL FAROESE VOWELS: á pron. [oa:] or [aa:] í and ý pron. [ooee:] ó pron. [ouw:] ú pron. [ew:]
- Entropies of posteriors for diphthong ae-i
- Words with the OW /aʊ/ Diphthong - Part 2 (plow, bow, brow, ...) American English Pronunciation 37 more words that are perhaps not quite as frequently used. Part 1 is at plow, bow, brow, spout, scout, handout, fadeout, layout, blackout, knockout, readout, hangout, hound, mound, bound, playground, campground, profound, compound, greyhound,...
- diphthong! The meaning of a diphthong. Diphthongs often form when separate vowels are run together in rapid speech
- Posterior probabilities for diphthong ae-i
- Latin Diphthong Pronunciation Samples (in English words) of Latin diphthongs. A diphthong is a combination of 2 vowels that come together to make 1 syllable. *restored classical pronunciation*
- I Prefer the Diphthong In which Mr. Logan has an epiphany.
- Understanding the OW diphthong: American English Pronunciation TRANSCRIPT: See more videos and exercises at to help you improve your American English accent.
- Greek Accentuation pt 2 Iota sub, Diphthong, Gamma Conjunct
- Diphthong OI: Turn Your Accent into an Asset Series, Succeed How to pronounce English diphthong OI, e-mail for workbook at
- Learn the Greek Alphabet: 5. Vowels and Diphthongs Now that you've learned the sounds of the letters of the Greek alphabet and their names, and have worked on your penmanship, you are ready to focus on the vowels and diphthongs (2-vowel combinations). This series is in conjunction with the Greekinator's book, Learn the Greek Alphabet: How to Vault the First Hurdle to Learning Greek, available here: bit.ly Check out the Greekinator's Bible study website: .
- diphthong oi generated with
- Understanding the OH diphthong: American English Pronunciation TRANSCRIPT: See more videos and exercises at to help you improve your American accent.
- Diphthongs With Jay Glide Jay Glide (Sean Carney) teaches you about the magic of the diphthong through skateboarding. Enjoy! Directed and Edited by Sean Carney Filmed by Dillon Carney Music: Anchor End by A Wilhelm Scream
Blogs & Forum
blogs and forums about diphthong
“Home: Forum: English: Pronouncing "L'' and "R" like a diphthong? Before R, tense vowels tend to "break" into a centering diphthong, which is a vowel followed by a schwa”
— Pronouncing "L'' and "R" like a diphthong?! | Antimoon Forum,
“Artfl project: webster dictionary, 1913 a mute e at the end of a word transforms the vowel sound into a diphthong. diphthong - slashdot user diphthong id old site max han*** media arts britannica online encyclopedia article on diphthong: in”
— sad jackman's blog, free-blog-
“Home " diphthong. Posts Tagged diphthong' Triphthongs in Spanish. Monday, September 21st, Tags:atonic, closed vowel, diphthong, grammar, open vowel, pronunciation, Real Academia”
— Diphthong, translation-
“I wonder if you could demonstrate in your blog if it's possible. So that's going to be the important thing that really forms this word, making sure you pronounce both sounds of that diphthong”
— Word Comparisons for Chinese Students | Rachel's English,
“Omniglot blog. linguistic musings – one language is never enough / ಒಂದೇ ಭಾಷೆ ಸಾಲಲ್ಲ ಅಥವಾ Word of the day – diphthong. Diphthong, noun = a vowel sound, occupying a single syllable,”
— Omniglot blog " Blog Archive " Word of the day – diphthong,
“In a word like 'time' why do we consider the [ai] of [taim] (I know it is not an i but I cannot spell the correct one on my pc) to be a diphthong? It's considered a diphthong because it is only one sound. If it was how you said, it'd be wrong because there would be two syllables, but it'd sound”
— LINGUISTICS :: View topic - why diphthong?,
“Pako's English Forum - practise your English skills and share your experience with other people. Pako's English Forum / Language issues / Pronouncing "L'' and "R" like a diphthong?”
— Pronouncing "L'' and "R" like a diphthong?! (esp for native, english.hb.pl
“the component does not accept the diphthong "io" Agora Forum. JCal Pro. I'll Be There RSVP. Advanced Search. News & Blog. Downloads. sh404SEF. Agora Forum. JCal Pro. I'll Be There RSVP. Advanced Search. Free. Support & FAQs. FAQs. Forum. Forum Help”
— the component does not accept the diphthong "io", dev.anything-
“Forum. Documentation. Elementary Worksheet Of Diphthong. smilesylee curriculum. Tags: blog. Share this post: English worksheets Diphthong eeea. kostask”
— Elementary worksheet of diphthong / Global News Blog Headlines,
“diphthong.blog-. Added. Saturday, May 14th, 2005. If you were logged in you could Message: blog does not exist, as at 27feb07. by CEC4 (1344 days ago) ”
— - Profile / diphthong.blog-,
similar for diphthong
- falling diphthongs
- journal of the international phonetic association
- vowel sounds
- centering diphthong
- rising diphthong
- media arts
- design portfolio
- flash media
- speech sound
- english dictionary
- vowel sound
- encyclopedia britannica
- free dictionary
- two sounds
- ancient greek
- free encyclopedia
- simple english wikipedia
- the cambridge encyclopedia of the english language
- greek language
- english vowels
- standard english
- air flow
- root of the tongue
- word games
- webster online dictionary with audio pronunciations
- falling diphthong
- online dictionary