- Use a comma before and, but, or, nor, for, and yet to separate independent clauses in Commas separate participial phrases and adjective clauses that are nonessential. — “Commas”,
- Commas are frequently used to make a writer's meaning clearer to a reader. If you still have a complete idea, the word or phrase is an interrupter and commas will be needed to separate it from the rest of the sentence. — “Intermediate Test Prep ELA 8 (Grades7-8) Literary Devices”,
- Comma Usage. If you have a fast connection to the Internet—a T1 line (available in most computer lab situations), cable modem, or DSL—click HERE for a If your computer is equipped with PowerPoint, click on the PowerPoint icon to the right for a brief PowerPoint presentation on comma usage. — “Rules for Comma Usage”, mnet.edu
- Caution: Do not place commas between two items separated by and or between three items separated from one another by ands. Remember to place a comma before the coordinating conjunction joining the last two elements of the series. — “COMMA”, towson.edu
- The comma has several uses in English grammar, all related to marking-off separate elements within a sentence. — “Commas | Punctuation Rules”,
- What follows is not a comprehensive guide to the many uses of commas, but a quick tour of the most common errors involving them. A simple comma makes everything clear: "I plan to see Shirley, and Fred will go shopping while we visit. — “commas”, wsu.edu
- Comma Rules: How to Use Commas Properly - Part Three. By Morgan Stockton October 27, 2010. Every writer, even the good ones, sometimes need a little help with commas. Here is a helpful guide in explaining comma use in your sentence structure to make your writing flow smoothly. — “Commas - Topic - Associated Content from Yahoo!”,
- What a difference commas make! Proper use of punctuation and grammar is quickly falling to the wayside in today's environment of information on demand and text messaging. Use commas to separate things in a list or series. Use commas between two or more. — “How to Use Commas - wikiHow”,
- A comma is a punctuation mark. It has the same shape as an apostrophe or single closing quotation mark in many typefaces, but it differs from them in being placed on the baseline of the text. — “Commas and Punctuation”, the-
- Rules governing punctuation change over time, reflecting the style and tastes of a writing, print, or cyber culture: although nowadays writers tend to minimize comma usage, there are still numerous conventional uses for commas: Using Commas with Coordinating Conjunctions. — “Commas”, nipissingu.ca
- Commas, for starters, make sentences, like this one, run on, and on, and on, with no end, however weak, in sight. A List, Of Sorts, Of Comma Users, Who Use Commas. ***agers, the most foolish ones, who aspire to be writers, however unlikely, might overuse the comma, in order to seem, though this is. — “Commas - Encyclopedia Dramatica”,
- Should it be June,1990, or June 1990, or no commas at all? Answer: No comma after June, since no day is expressed. There is a comma after 1990, but not because it's a date. That comma is there because the phrase "after one year of employment" is not restrictive. — “Questions on Commas”, ncsu.edu
- In some cases there are widely accepted rules governing comma usage; in a few cases, there is more than one acceptable approach. After all, the last thing a senior attorney wants to do is correct a junior attorney's comma usage. — “Commas”, kentlaw.edu
- Using commas incorrectly may confuse the reader, signal ignorance of writing rules, or indicate carelessness. Where you pause or breathe in a sentence does not reliably indicate where a comma belongs. — “Commas”, unc.edu
- 11 Commas in dates, numbers, personal titles, and addresses For now, don't worry about any unfamiliar terms; simply observe the main actions commas do: join, emphasize, contain, and separate. They work with a coordinating conjunction to join two independent clauses within a sentence. — “Rhetoric and Composition/Commas - Wikibooks, collection of”,
- ( commas with two independent clauses) She invited him to her party and he accepted. ( comma unnecessary with short clauses) Use a comma after an introductory adverb clause and, often, after an introductory phrase (unless the phrase is very short). — “The Comma”, uottawa.ca
- Commas are probably the most frequently used punctuation mark, and comma errors come up frequently in student writing. The most common mistake that students make when using commas is thinking that a comma goes wherever one hears a pause in a sentence. — “ENG 1001: Punctuation: Commas”, www2.ivcc.edu
- A punctuation mark ( , ) used to indicate a separation of ideas or of elements within a sentence. 'Take care of the commas and the other stops will take care of themselves,' for the writer who handles this puny little stop correctly and sensibly can probably punctuate as well as need be. — “comma - definition and examples of comma - marks of punctuation”,
- The comma ( , ) is a punctuation mark. It has the same shape as an apostrophe or single closing quotation mark in many typefaces, but it differs from them in being placed on the baseline of the text. Some typefaces render it as a small line,. — “Comma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia”,
- Commas definition, the sign (,), a mark of punctuation used for indicating a division in a sentence, as in setting off a word, phrase, or clause, esp. when suc See more. — “Commas | Define Commas at ”,
- This resource offers a number of pages about comma use. 1. Use commas to separate independent clauses when they are joined by any of these seven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet. — “Purdue OWL: Commas”, owl.english.purdue.edu
- If sentences, comma use. Commas and more. Comma Sense. See: Punctuation, Comma Splices, Language Arts Index, Using Commas and Semi-Colons Correctly. Free Presentation Tutorials - including how to create. a new presentation from several old. — “The Common Comma - Language Arts FREE Presentations in”,
- Learn about Commas on . Find info and videos including: What Is a Comma?, How to Use Commas, How to Use a Comma and much more. — “Commas - ”,
related images for commas
- COMMAS who needs em
- Previous Next
- McCOMMAS Amon 5 Jun 1804 20 May 1877 McCOMMAS Elisha 19 Mar 1830 22 Aug 1908 McCOMMAS Rhoda Ann TUCKER 16 Jul 1835 9 Nov 1904 Wife of Elisha Married 24 Dec 1850 Dallas
- Thanks 4th commas 2 JPG
- 3rd Row From Front Grave Facing East
- commas jpg
- this second definition of comma with other categories of small intervals also named Keenan s first definition of comma above covers all the interval categories on this graph Below is the data for the comma category cutoffs which George Secor and Dave Keenan found most useful while developing sagittal notation The boundaries occur at the square roots of
- commas gif
- Thanks 4th commas in series JPG
- KSMcCommasBeauty jpg
- Gun with commas Source
- commas jpg
- 6438McCommasMasterBath jpg
- TOSTIPPBK20070530201828000S45655 jpg
- is it ミステリ劇なのでしょうか ブタというより 風船が象に見えます 笑 サイン入り Inverted Commas 1995 ミュージカル 100部限定 サイン入り
- Jus playin mate I hear ya
- koochung2 jpg
- After a stop in the Fern Glen I continued on Cary Pines toward the Old Gravel Pit and found two more commas in a typical posture clinging head down on the sunny side of a tree trunk
- Thanks 4th commas in series 3 JPG
- Whoa commas This must surely be one of the most nightmarish lists to try and shop from The shopper has used lined paper but rather than sticking to the conventional One Item Per Line
- Students should have the ability to compose a proficient paragraph to function satisfactorily in this course of study Back to homepage
- Cup achiones jpg 14 Jul 2006 08 23 127k Crowns jpg 14 Jul 2006 08 23 147k Commas jpg 14 Jul 2006 08 23 134k Chocolate Heart JPG 14 Jul 2006 08 23 718k
- How To Use Commas Perhaps the most common aspect of punctuation within English VideoJug shows you how to use commas correctly Follow our simple guide and learn all you need to know about commas
- 6438McCommasDen jpg
related videos for commas
- Ask A Ninja - Question 44 "Commas" Lori asks the ninja why commas are so over/under used.
- Ask A Ninja : Question 44 : "Commas" Ask A Ninja Question 44 "Commas"
- The Rules For Comma Usage basic rules for comma usage
- Comma Splice This video explains what a comma splice is and simple ways to fix it.
- Grammar & Punctuation : When to Use a Comma in Dates When writing dates, use commas around the year to separate the date and the rest of the sentence. Commas are unnecessary if the day of the month is no included in the date. Learn where to find more information on commas with insight from awriter and English tutor in this free video on grammar and punctuation. Expert: Heather Kamins Bio: Heather Kamins was diagnosed with lupus when she was 14 years old, and has dealt with kidney involvement, joint problems, medication side effects and other lupus-related issues. Filmmaker: Dimitri LaBarge
- Commas Rule! Watch this "slasher" film about the comma. You'll never again think about this tiny punctuation mark the same way.
- DIVIDE - The Unversed & Commas In Period live at AMPLIFIER bar Perth DIVIDE - The Unversed & Commas In Period live at AMPLIFIER bar Perth Australia
- Commalicious (Commas) Language Arts Everything about commas (not everything) We made it kinda Ossim Grammar Song colegio Maya Guatemala Fred, Myong Su, Seok Young Hwang ENJOY
- Comma (feat. Don-G) - "Do It Yourself" Comma's debut hip hop video, featuring Don-G. /commaonez Directed and edited by Matthew Leddy. /ecclecto Comma is a member of Shadow Clan on Chamber Musik Records.
- Commas & Nonrestrictive Clauses--Robyn WCC Writing Center tutor Robyn Taylor explains the use of commas with nonrestrictive clauses and modifiers.
- A Metal Gear Video?!?! ME: Do you have any questions? VIEWER: Questions?
- Comma Art Oil and car care company, Comma, commissioned motorsport artist Ian Cook with using real racing vehicles to paint an artwork to launch the firm's £2 million motorsport promotion.
- How to Use Commas in English Writing In this lesson, I look at comma use in the English language. If you are looking to get into university, or simply want to improve your writing, this lesson is a great way to strengthen your punctuation skills. Don't forget to test your understanding of the lesson by taking the quiz at
- Grammar & Punctuation : When to Use Commas in a List Use commas in a list of three or more things by putting a common after each item in the series until the last item. Include commas before the last item in a series only if the sentence is confusing without the comma. Find out common mistakes related to comma use in lists with information from awriter and English tutor in this free video on grammar and punctuation. Expert: Heather Kamins Bio: Heather Kamins was diagnosed with lupus when she was 14 years old, and has dealt with kidney involvement, joint problems, medication side effects and other lupus-related issues. Filmmaker: Dimitri LaBarge
- 47 - Quotation Marks with Periods and Commas Jane Straus, foremost expert, answers your burning English grammar and punctuation questions. To see the entire contents of The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation online and to take online quizzes, go to
- Grammar & Punctuation : When to Use a Comma in a Compound Subject For sentences with compound subjects, use a common between the subjects if there are three or more subjects in the sentence. Follow the rules for commas as they relate to lists when determining how to use a common in a compound sentence with information from awriter and English tutor in this free video on grammar and punctuation. Expert: Heather Kamins Bio: Heather Kamins was diagnosed with lupus when she was 14 years old, and has dealt with kidney involvement, joint problems, medication side effects and other lupus-related issues. Filmmaker: Dimitri LaBarge
- Is comma a separator in a title tag? Hi Matt. More and more websites started using comma (,) as a separator in title tag (less pipes or dashes). Is comma really a separator OR if it's better for the visitors it's better for SEO ? Thanks ! Adrian, Europe Have a question? Ask it in our Webmaster Help Forum: Want your question to be answered on a video like this? Follow us on Twitter and look for an announcement when we take new questions: More videos: Webmaster Central Blog: Webmaster Central:
- The importance of commas and other bits of grammar Note to self, don't drop your camera on the fireplace when filming your next vlog thingy. I must admit, not all of this came from my own head, the bit about commas came from me old english teacher, Miss Shuttle***. The rest is all me, though Oh, and if any of you DO know where to find a good green/blue, please say somewhere in the comments, cos there are quite a lot of my ideas that need one.
- Grammarville Lesson One: Comma Rules This is a short grammar lesson that covers three different comma rules.
- THE ELECTRIC COMPANY: My Daughter Studies: Commas as Pause Cute cartoon about Moms and their daughters. For more clips and games go to: Watch The Electric Company on PBS KIDS GO!
- THE ELECTRIC COMPANY: Shock & Lenique: Comma in Quotes. Shock and Lenique beat box commas in quotes. For more clips and games go to: Watch The Electric Company on PBS KIDS GO!
- How to Use a Comma Learn how to use a comma properly by utilizing the information in these steps.
- Vampire Weekend - Oxford Comma New video from Vampire Weekend for the single 'Oxford Comma' directed by Richard Ayoade.
- The Comma Rhapsody This is how I teach my 6th graders all the uses of a comma. I play it everyday for a week, they eventually have the song memorized (with lyrics put up on the Promethean Board) to help them out.
- THE ELECTRIC COMPANY: He Said / She Said: Commas & Quotes Animation about sister and brother. For more clips and games go to: Watch The Electric Company on PBS KIDS GO!
- The importance of Commas. If you own this shirt, I hate you. So you Guys voted and it seemed most wanted videos in the 0-3 minute range. I will stick to this then, Some may still be very short as I have some short ones planned but most will be about this length. I am now following Australian Time zoning for the Daily video, This does mean I am one video behind but I will make up for this with a double post some time soon. I still Need More challenges and questions! challenges in the comments, Questions on formspring: /hsgspring Any other suggestions just let me know! /halfscottishguy /halfscottishguy
- Commas - 5 Rules Mr. Steve's Roadside English class hears about how to use commas correctly. ---- This video was made and uploaded with Xtranormal's State To make your own movie, visit
- THE ELECTRIC COMPANY: Captain Cluck: Quotation Marks Baby wants to know about quatation marks and commas, do you? For more clips and games go to: Watch The Electric Company on PBS KIDS GO!
- Comma Rap Tutorial in commas
- Fun With Commas Silliness. A look at the growing threat of misplaced punctuation.
- Instructional Video - Commas Three Common Comma Rules
- @ThaRealBamm (#HeavyChevvyBoyz) - COMMAS Produced by @ToneYates
- 10. English Grammar Lesson. Participial Phrases Set Off by Commas Yossarian the Grammarian explains the importance of participial phrases set off from the main clause by a comma or commas. English grammar
- English Grammar & Punctuation : How to Use a Comma Before Quotation Marks Commas are used before quotation marks and followed by a space before starting the quote. Discover how to use punctuation when writing quotes with help from a certified tutor in this free video on punctuation in the English language. Expert: Paige Carrera Bio: Paige Carrera is a certified tutor for both Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Filmmaker: Christopher Rokosz
- THE ELECTRIC COMPANY: Captain Cluck: Commas & Quotes Captain Cluck and the Poultry Patrol to the resuce with commas! For more clips and games go to: Watch The Electric Company on PBS KIDS GO!
- How to Edit Your Writing : Tips for Proper Use of Commas Where does the comma go? Proper punctuation impresses potential employers. Find out details more details on the rules for using commas in thisfree self-editing lesson for writers and job seekers. Expert: Kari Wethington Bio: Kari Wethington is a journalist based in Cincinnati, Ohio. Karis experience includes reporting, editing, online journalism and video production. Filmmaker: Jason Sager
- 19. Coordinating Conjunctions and Comma Splices. English Grammar Lesson Yossarian lays down the law: a comma splice is the impermissible use of a comma between independent clauses not joined by a coordinating conjunction. English language and grammar.
- Grammar & Punctuation : When to Use a Comma With a Prepositional Phrase Use a comma with a prepositional phrase if the phrase is non-restrictive, or if the prepositional phrase is being used as an introductory phrase. Avoid using a comma with a prepositional phrase if the sentence reads clearly without the comma. Learn more about comma usage with information from awriter and English tutor in this free video on grammar and punctuation. Expert: Heather Kamins Bio: Heather Kamins was diagnosed with lupus when she was 14 years old, and has dealt with kidney involvement, joint problems, medication side effects and other lupus-related issues. Filmmaker: Dimitri LaBarge
- Grammar & Punctuation : What Is a Comma Splice? A comma splice is a type of run-on sentence that occurs when two independent clauses are incorrectly joined together. Fix a comma splice by inserting a period, a semicolon or a coordinating conjunction with help from awriter and English tutor in this free video on grammar and punctuation. Expert: Heather Kamins Bio: Heather Kamins was diagnosed with lupus when she was 14 years old, and has dealt with kidney involvement, joint problems, medication side effects and other lupus-related issues. Filmmaker: Dimitri LaBarge
- Ten Basic Comma Rules Ten basic comma rules are discussed with examples.
- Grammar & Punctuation : When to Use a Dash vs. a Comma Use a dash in a sentence to set off parenthetical information and provide emphasis. Commas can also be used to set off parenthetical information, but they do not generally bring as much attention to the information. Use commas to rename a nearby noun phrase with help from awriter and English tutor in this free video on grammar and punctuation. Expert: Heather Kamins Bio: Heather Kamins was diagnosed with lupus when she was 14 years old, and has dealt with kidney involvement, joint problems, medication side effects and other lupus-related issues. Filmmaker: Dimitri LaBarge
- Grammar Time: Understanding the Comma This lesson opens with a brief introduction to the history of punctuation. Seven basic rules for using the comma correctly are presented and explained through humorous examples and illustrations. The original song, "Throw a Comma Down,"completes the lesson and reviews the seven rules. Preview time approx 03:00 minutes, total run time: 15:00 minutes
twitter about commas
Blogs & Forum
blogs and forums about commas
“Use the array_filter() function to clear out any blank array items before passing the output to the implode() function. Search this site: Blog. Forum. Tools. Examples. Plugins. About. Contact. Home | Blogs | Print Array Without Trailing Commas In PHP. Categories. Apache. DOS”
— Print Array Without Trailing Commas In PHP | #! code,
“Textbroker Blog. Commas Save Lives! Commas save lives! By Christina Zila, Textbroker with your commas and other grammar rules. posted on 04/23/2010 - 04.44 | textbroker blog | comments: 21”
— Commas Save Lives!,
“Professional business writing books and business communcations training in writing effective business email, writing business letters, reports and proposals, using grammer and punctuation, and more”
— Commas in 3-D | Write It Well — Training and Books for,
“kumpel – the blog *Commas's story* || *A história dos Virgulinos* Commas are a product exclusive of my imagination. I started design them in April 2007 and since then I don't stop thinking We all know that Commas really like to travel and discover different places and cultures”
— ei! kumpel – the blog " *Commas's story* || *A história dos,
“Limelight is Suite101.com's blog sharing news and events from our freelance writing community and the online publishing industry”
— [Write Like a Pro] Grammar 101: Using Commas, suite101.com
“Blog articles relating to written communications for business users. - Viewing all posts. (commas)”
— commas | Blog-GrammarPhile,
“When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. (Franklin Roosevelt) If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style. (Quentin”
— The House of Commas |,
“The comma may seem insignificant, but its presence or absence can transform the meaning of a sentence”
— Nuts about commas | ABC Copywriting blog,